Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Yeah – I totally realized that I forgot to post the tutorial on this one.  And since I have had a couple of you email for how and since pinecones are more of a winter decoration anyways I thought I would go ahead and post it!  So here is a glimpse of the finished product on my porch for the holidays.

When I first started on this project, my inspiration was to to make them look somewhat like these ones from Crate & Barrel

But I couldn’t find any small pinecones.  All I could find where these mammoths.  Yeah – a dainty kissing ball that will not make.   

DSC06989

So I had to come up with a way to make them smaller.  Allow me to introduce my handy friend, a big pair of wire cutters!

DSC06991

So by cutting off little layers of each pine cone I was able to create little pinecone flowers.  Aren’t they cute!!

DSC06993

Then I just glued them onto a foam ball that I spray painted red.  I also added some mini ornaments to give it a little bling – but if you were doing this as just a winter project you could easily forgo those.

DSC06997

So the finished project looks a little like this! 

DSC07006

I think this would be a great way to accessorize a wreath or something like it!  What do you think?  Can you think of any other ideas of what to do with this?  I would love to hear them – I still have a pile of pinecones!!

Linking this up to

Metamorphosis Monday with Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
Before and After Party with Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Made with Love Monday with Elizabeth @ Sew Chatty

 

22 frugal friends said ...

Jessica Jones, ATL Mom of 3 said... @ January 2, 2011 at 8:41 PM

LOVE this!
and everything else you do! I have missed catching up with you but I spent a good hour spying on all your great crafts!

Jessica @ Decor Adventures said... @ January 2, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I love this, I've been wanting to make some kind of kissing ball and I have tons of pinecones too. I may try it out!

Hope you are having a great new year Jess!

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy said... @ January 2, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Aw SO cute!

On Crooked Creek said... @ January 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Jess,
How cute are those pinecone flowers? AND. . .how did anyone know clipping away the pinecone could create them? YOU are one clever and creative lady! Thank you for sharing your ideas with all of us! I appreciated your sweet visit and comment On Crooked Creek tonight. Stop by again soon, dear!
Fondly,
Pat

Judy @ In His Grip said... @ January 2, 2011 at 9:27 PM

This is so great. And I have a yard full of pine cones. I am totally going to do this. Thanks.

Sarah, Three Boys said... @ January 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Hi, you have been awarded the stylish blogger award! Stop by and check it out! And thank you so much for writing such great posts:)

http://threeboys-home.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

Unknown said... @ January 3, 2011 at 8:28 AM

OH - this is so cute! I LOVE those pinecone flowers. So pretty! Thank you for the tutorial. I have ideas running through my head now for those flowers ;)

Kendra@Creative Ambitions said... @ January 3, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Jess... those are A-Dor-Able! I think the little pinecone flowers would make a great wreath or even a topiary... or tree! Very cute idea!

Kendra

Erin said... @ January 3, 2011 at 9:21 AM

You knew that I had a gob of pinecones left, so thanks for this idea! The porch is looking kind of bare and this would be a good thing to add some life!

fafner said... @ January 3, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I have to say, I like yours way better than the Crate and Barrel one. It looks much cuter with the pine cone flowers. Plus the lack of red glitter makes it look much more like an all winter sort of decoration. Love it!

Rachel Cotterill said... @ January 3, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Love the pinecone 'flowers' - they'd definitely be great on a wreath, or a garland, too.

Upscale Downhome said... @ January 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Thanks for helping me see pinecones in a new way. I've never thought of cutting them apart like you did. Very clever and very cute plus my yard has lots of pinecones for FREE! Great job!

Anne said... @ January 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Love it! also love your blog, and have awarded you a "Stylish Blogger" award that I hope brings you new readers! Details on my blog.

deb said... @ January 4, 2011 at 7:16 PM

SO cute!! You've given me an idea for the basket on my front door. It's empty now with the Holiday deco's gone. Thanks you clever cookie!!
*hugs*Deb

Holly Lefevre said... @ January 5, 2011 at 12:03 AM

This is so pretty. I have always loved pinecones and what you have done with them is gorgeous. I love how they look like little flowers...so pretty!

Mike said... @ January 5, 2011 at 8:31 AM

That looks great! It's like wooden flowers. Katrina would love to make that next year!

Karen said... @ January 5, 2011 at 8:39 AM

You could cover small balls with the mini pinecones and display them in a bowl during the winter. Pinecones, like you said, are a perfect winter element in the home.

Decor To Adore said... @ January 5, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Oh my mind is dancing at all that could be created with pinecone flowers~ wreath, enhanced decor, etc. Alas here in the desert there are not to many pine trees. So I shall live vicariously through you.

Simple Daisy said... @ January 5, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Those are so cute!! I love them:)
thanks for stopping by my blog!!!!!!

Anonymous said... @ January 6, 2011 at 12:42 AM

wow, this looks great and so easy!

Pam said... @ January 6, 2011 at 9:15 AM

I adore kissing balls and this one is terrific! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

GladysWoods said... @ April 19, 2022 at 3:09 AM

Hey There. I discovered your blog the usage of msn. That is a very neatly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I’ll definitely return.home office chair uk


Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails