Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Forever ago, ok - only in May - but it feels like forever, I got this really cute spice rack for $3.  18 jars and 18 alternate brown caps (in the sleeve on top). 

And in that sleeve was a little message that said ....

Change something to match my decor?  Well thank you little slip o paper!  Don't mind if I do!  I wanted to turn it into a different type of storage.  So of course, I grabbed my two favorite friends to help with the transformation.  A can of Heirloom White and a can of Black Satin spray paint!  I gave the cabinet base and door a couple coats of of Heirloom White.  Better already. 

I then gave the caps a spray of satin black.  

Ok - want to see the final product???  Check out my new bead storage box!

Ta-da!  Isn't it adorable in my little "craft center" with my sewing desk, custom cork board and my lovely shelf!  (Pay no attention to the canvas with the flower - that is going away shortly to be replaced by a new piece!)

I just love it!  And the little jar tops came out so cute!!  Aren't they adorable - I just want to get in and make some jewelry.

I am very pleased with this transformation - even made the little knob on the door black too!  

So tell me - have you ever run across one of these old spice sets?  Is so what would you make it into?  

Linking this up to
Power of Paint Party with Maryann @ Domestically Speaking
Make it Yours Day with Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden
Show and Tell with Becca @ Blue Cricket Design
Transformation Thursday with Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage 
Fabulous Friday with Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor
Remodelaholics Anonymous with Cassity @ Remodelaholic 
Saturday Nite Special with Donna @ Funky Junk Interiors

And I am linking this up to the CSI Project's Spray Paint Challenge!
 

Visit thecsiproject.com

29 frugal friends said ...

Jennia Hart said... @ August 10, 2010 at 9:42 PM

LOVE your remake. Now I'm going to be on the look out for a spice rack just like yours. Hmmmm, I wonder how long it will take me to fine one. Very cute, very frugal and very eco-friendly!!

Kate Riley said... @ August 11, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Brilliant repurposing my dear! Heirloom White, oops, I mean YOU, can do anything! :-)

Kate

Unknown said... @ August 11, 2010 at 5:15 AM

Oooh, nice!! It looks so much better. I found a lazy-Susan-ish spice thing that I painted and used to hold sequins and glitter. If I found one like this, I'd probably use it for beads. Love that mirror you found too! Off to see what this pillow giveaway is all about. It's beautiful!

Sharon@KeenInspirations said... @ August 11, 2010 at 6:12 AM

This is adorable! Storage that you don't have to hide! I have a couple of small shelves?racks that I plan on using for ccraft storage as well...none with bottles though! Great trasformation!!!I foudn you over at Blue Cricket and am now a follower!
have a wonderful ret of the week!
Sharon@KeenInspirations

Erin said... @ August 11, 2010 at 7:44 AM

I love how this turned out. I think you have one of the best eyes to see what isn't there, and then to transform into what you saw. It is awesome!

Christine said... @ August 11, 2010 at 8:30 AM

You made me laugh when you thanked the slip of paper {{giggle}}. It came out terrific, enjoy it!

NessEva said... @ August 11, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Love this!! What an inspiration! :)

Elizabeth said... @ August 11, 2010 at 8:57 AM

It's great! Looks so fresh and new - and great to use something for another use...I have a cheap-o spice rack (wire) that I am going to use for my craft paints...perfect fit!

Mindy said... @ August 11, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I love this!

I have a spice rack that belonged to my parents years ago. I think I'd like to transform it, now! I might not be brave enough to paint anything, but I'd be willing to take a shot at cleaning it all up for this purpose. Thanks for the great idea!

michelle ellis said... @ August 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I just love this! I am going to start hunting for an old spice rack for my beads! Thank you!

the cape on the corner said... @ August 11, 2010 at 10:33 AM

love it, totally cute. i thought that's what you'd do when you shared this originally, but i love the chic makeover you gave it. don't know what else you could do with it, if not for bead storage.

Unknown said... @ August 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Ohh - I'm sooo jealous of that spice rack! Too cute! I've never seen one but you can bet I'll be looking for one now!

Teri said... @ August 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Awesome idea! Love it! :)

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said... @ August 11, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Super cute! Great transformation!

PS. I gave you an award. :)

Vanessa said... @ August 11, 2010 at 7:54 PM

What an ingenious idea! Great job!

Ellen said... @ August 11, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Hi Jess!

Loving your creative talents here! Gotta say don't cha love the Goodwill first Saturday sales?! Oh my! We will have to go to Starbucks one Saturday and hit them all- I live in Nashvegas too ;) And LOVE transforming stuff and more stuff!

xoxox,
Ellen

Debbiedoos said... @ August 11, 2010 at 9:09 PM

This turned out fantastic....I love it!

Whitney & McKayla said... @ August 11, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Very nice. I wish I could find one of these spice racks somewhere.

Karen said... @ August 12, 2010 at 8:31 AM

That is the smartest of solutions for anyone who uses beads.

Terrell said... @ August 12, 2010 at 4:50 PM

This is a FABULOUS piece!!! I'm happy to be your newest follower and I love having new friends! I also wanted to invite you to link up to my blog party/giveaway every Friday at FrouFrouDecor! Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said... @ August 12, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Hi Jess,
That turned out great. I love your craft/sewing area. So pretty and inspiring!

Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

Jean said... @ August 13, 2010 at 7:38 AM

I was so glad to see your makeover. I picked up one of those cabinets loaded with jars and I kept thinking "beads". So~ maybe I'll just do it!

re:Inspire said... @ August 13, 2010 at 8:16 AM

So clever! Thanks for sharing!
Lisa

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said... @ August 14, 2010 at 7:48 AM

I love beads and have a huge collection. What a great idea to store and display them.

Anonymous said... @ August 14, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I have done this same project. My spice rack isn't as cute as yours though. Totally love it! I've added this to my SU file. :)

Amara Russell said... @ August 14, 2010 at 10:37 PM

You have achieved the recycle/repurpose/upcycle trifecta...+ ILove that timeless classic look. Kick a$$ makeover! ...This is now on my "most wanted" list...I've got a lot of spice jars, now I'll never pass up another spice rack PINKY SWEAR...Thank You for sharing this project in a superior post. ;-D

She's The Love of My Life said... @ August 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Cute! Cute! Cute! I'm visiting from the csi project.

Amanda said... @ March 30, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I've put together a round up of great ways to organize your craft supplies on Craft Gossip today and included your post. :) You can see it here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/6-ways-to-get-your-crafts-organized/

If you would like to share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you've been featured, you can grab a button here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Giovanni Carlo said... @ October 31, 2019 at 8:56 PM

You're DIY storage racks projects are beautiful. I have other project plan. I will build a storage racks for my betta fish and I will use a wooden recycled pallets

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails