Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

One question and comment that I seem to get all the time is "How do you look at that 'thing' at a yard sale and see something more?"  Well, I will be honest with you - it is not because I am a visionary creative thinker.  It is just cause I have spent I have spent so much time checking out all of the great ideas out here in blogland!  I'll admit that six months ago I wouldn't have thought of half the ideas I have - but sometimes it just takes seeing someone else creative ideas to spark your own creative juices!  So for today - I want to see what we can get going amongst ourselves.

Here is our case study today - the $1 Yard Sale mirror.  I think you can find a version of this at just about any yard sale.  The question is what can we make of it?  I am here to give you six great ideas of what you could do with a mirror like this to take it beyond just a mirror and into something else.

For starters - I spray painted the frame with a gloss black finish to serve as a neutral backdrop for all our ideas.  So let's break it down shall we?

1.  Make it into a Corkboard
Just a simple piece of cork and you can have a handy place to stick all your need to know information or inspirational ideas!  You could also paint a stencil on it to make it even more snazzy!

2.  Put a Great Piece of Fabric in it
Got an extra piece of fabric you love?  Stick it in the frame and add some personalized color to your space!  (This is some of the leftover fabric from my outdoor pillow project.  I still LOVE the print!)

3.  Turn it into a Chalkboard
I took out the back cardboard panel and sprayed it down with some cardboard spray paint!  Now you can have a family message center or a kitchen menu board. 

4.  Decoupage some Scrapbook Paper into it
This is another great and cheap idea!  I got two pieces of scrapbooking paper at Hobby Lobby for 59 cents a piece.  That and a little Mod Podge and we have a custom piece of artwork!  (I love the love letter-esque scrawl on this paper!)

5.  Turn it into a Tray for Candles 
Leave it as a mirror but instead of hanging it - how about setting it flat and putting some tealights on it?  I think this would look pretty on top of a dresser or on a bathroom vanity. 

6.  The idea YOU come up with (this is the best one!)
Seriously - I know looking at these basic ideas has to have your creative juice flowing!   

What would you do with this mirror?  Don't be shy - we all want you to share!  Already done something similar?  Link it up over on my Facebook Fan Page to share with the rest of us! 


Linking this up to

38 frugal friends said ...

Debbiedoos said... @ July 20, 2010 at 7:13 AM

That is awesome! I love all those ideas and may use one myself....I have a large mirror I do not use anymore...thanks for joining in on the party. Have fun and enjoy some others. Debbie:)

gail@My Repurposed Life said... @ July 20, 2010 at 7:28 AM

thanks for a lot of inspiration!
I like them all.
gail

Carrie said... @ July 20, 2010 at 8:03 AM

I loved all the ideas! I especially liked the candleholder idea, very unique. Great inspiration!

Unknown said... @ July 20, 2010 at 10:23 AM

i think i'm stealing that chalkboard idea. thanks! i've had a yard sale mirror waiting for a project for over a year.

the cape on the corner said... @ July 20, 2010 at 10:33 AM

what a great post, and i feel the same way! i could never look at pieces and imagine them a different way before blogging. heck, i'm not that good at it still! lol.

Erin said... @ July 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Awesome that you showed the many ways to use this!

Elizabeth said... @ July 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Hi Jess,

Great ideas!! I would use a little batting and some lovely fabric and then some darling ribbon and criss cross it across, tack it in the centres where the ribbon meets with some lovely buttons or something, and then voila! a message board to stick notes and such in! You get the idea, right? ;)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said... @ July 20, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Those are great! I love the fabric and that gorgeous scrapbook paper!!!

Juliette Samuel said... @ July 20, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Great ideas. I really love the candle tray. I'm going to go by some yard sales this weekend and see what I can find. I'm seriously motivated now.

Juliette Samuel

Unknown said... @ July 20, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Well since big mirrors are hard to come by and I could use one.. I'd keep it as a mirror, lol!

Great post, love how you showed all of the uses in one post instead of just saying "well you could do this or that..." New follower!
-Ann Marie

peggy aplSEEDS said... @ July 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM

wow, i would love to find a mirror like this in a $1 yard sale. i would paint it a shabby white and make it into an inspiration board using fabric and batting and criss crossed elastic trim.

Christine said... @ July 21, 2010 at 7:04 AM

All of those are great ideas! I love them all...

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said... @ July 21, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Jess, way to get creative with a plain mirror! Love all these ideas.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said... @ July 21, 2010 at 8:46 AM

I totally agree, blogland is such a wonderful place to get the creative juices flowing. Wonderful ideas!

Terri Smith said... @ July 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Thanks Jess..these were wonderful ideas! You sure inspire me to take up yard-sailing again. Gave it up for awhile..and now you're making it easy to remember some of the good stuff out there.

Hugs of Georgia Sunshine,
Terri

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said... @ July 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM

These are the cutiest ever, what wonderful ideas and alot of them!
Thank you for sharing!
Have a good day!
Leticia
www.msbinglesvintagechristmas.com

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said... @ July 21, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Love this post, Jess! I'll link to it from my weekend roundup. Thanks! :)

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said... @ July 22, 2010 at 12:47 AM

LOVE all the suggestions!!!

Karen said... @ July 22, 2010 at 7:21 AM

I think I'd steal two of your ideas and combine them. I'd cover a cork board with fabric and use the mirror's frame to finish out the look.

Great ideas Jess.

Megan Gunyan said... @ July 22, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Great ideas! I love the scrapbook paper and the mirror/tray. They're all wonderfully creative!

Leanne said... @ July 22, 2010 at 11:42 AM

These are great ideas. I love the corkboard and the fabric is so pretty. I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday and would love for you to join if you get the chance. Hope to see you there. http://organizeyourstuffnow.com

Stevie @ Sincerely Stevie said... @ July 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Awesome idea! You could also make it into a memo board using just the frame and some wire or garden twine to hang photos on. :)

Leanne said... @ July 24, 2010 at 10:14 AM

THe party is open until Saturday night so you still have a chance to link up if you'd like. Have a great weekend.

René said... @ July 24, 2010 at 3:26 PM

These are all great ideas! I see old mirrors all the time. Thanks for the inspiration!

-Rene

thatgirlisfunny said... @ July 25, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I just saw a huge round mirror with a black frame yesterday at a yard sale. I picked it up and looked at it and wondered what I would do with it. Now that I've seen your creative ideas, I might go and knock on my neighbor's door and see if she still has it - maybe she didn't sell it yet!

Kim said... @ July 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Beautiful crafting projects.

My Galveston Cottage said... @ July 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I should have known there would be paint for cardboard...but I didn't until today. Love all the ideas!

Unknown said... @ August 3, 2010 at 11:23 AM

I would definitely make it into a corkboard. I am looking for something like this right now to put in my craft room

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said... @ January 6, 2011 at 1:34 PM

You are genius! I have a new friend.
You!

M.O.T.B said... @ September 13, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Pinned this too!!! You are brilliant!

Sharon said... @ March 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM

I love your ideas for a mirror. I just acquired a mirror from my daughter and will take advantage of one of them. Thanks

Anonymous said... @ February 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually recognize what
you're talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally seek advice from my site =). We can have a hyperlink exchange arrangement among us
" http://is.gd/BzE5gm increase youtube views reviews "

Check out my webpage; buy youtube likes
my web site > buy youtube comments

Anonymous said... @ March 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM

A huge dick in my pussy,a new warm wet tounge
up my own arse and cum and also pussy juice all over me.
Fuck, ozzy

my homepage hcg injections

Anonymous said... @ May 13, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Мy spousе anԁ I stumblеd over here frοm a diffeгеnt ωebsitе
аnd thought I may as well check things out.

I lіκe whаt I ѕee so i am just follοwіng you.
Look forwаrd tо finding out about youг web page yet agaіn.


Hеrе is my sіte effective weight loss

Anonymous said... @ May 30, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Аppreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.


Feеl free to viѕit my web-site .
.. hcg blog
My webpage :: hcg to lose weight

Unknown said... @ January 24, 2015 at 3:05 AM

Love The Ideas with mirrors. You have shown Very smart techniques of transforming yard sale mirror. I prefer custom made mirrors to decorate my house.

phynel said... @ May 2, 2022 at 1:34 AM

have a peek herehop over to these guys SourceFull Article this contact formfind more

Anonymous said... @ December 15, 2023 at 4:01 AM

off white jordan
bape clothing
yeezy
ggdb outlet
kd 14
hermes outlet
Travis Scott Jordan
golden goose
jordan outlet
fear of god clothing

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails