Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

So the rain is really putting a damper (pun totally intended) on my patio reveal.  Sigh - so here is a little indoor project I worked on this weekend to add a little comfort and color to the patio.  

I think I have already hinted that red is my pop of color on the patio.  I was browsing fabric at Jo Ann's a couple of weeks ago and found this fantastic outdoor fabric!  It is a deep red print on burlap-esque fabric!  I love it.  It was in the clearance remnant section and was marked an additional 50% off.  So I got a yard for $2.50!   Then the pillows were also 50% off so I got that lil darling below for only $3.00.

So for starters I laid out my fabric and took a little stich witchery and folding down the edges to make a clean seam.



I followed that around the whole piece to give it a nice clean sharp edge. 

Next, I folded the fabric around the pillow to determine where I wanted the seams to line up.  I flipped it inside out and then added some more stitch witchery around the edges and ironed those down.  (I also forgot to take pictures of that step!)  I then turned the pillow cover back right side out and smoothed out the corners.

I stuffed my pillow into it's beautiful little cover and voila!  Cute no sew outdoor pillow!  Took me 15-20 minutes tops to turn this out.

So what do you think?  I love it!  For $5.50 I have a cute pillow for my lil patio.  It is all starting to come together.  Hopefully, I will be able to finish up the final details on the patio and show you what I have been working on soon!  That is if it ever stops raining here .... stay tuned!


Linking this up with 

22 frugal friends said ...

Amanda @ Serenity Now said... @ May 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I love the fabric you chose! I have a dumb question...does that outdoor fabric keep the moisture out or do you have to bring them in when it rains? I'm visiting from Kimba's party...hope you'll stop by my blog for a visit. :)

Colleen @ MuralMaker&More said... @ May 17, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Great tutorial, Jess. I love no-sew projects. I'm gathering posts to do a regular blog with them. Do you mind if I add yours?

Suzanne said... @ May 18, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Great tutorial. So easy and a fabulous result!

Rene @ cottage and vine said... @ May 18, 2010 at 6:29 AM

What an inspiration! Love the pillow, the fabric, and the fact that it only took a few minutes to make.

Michelle @ Sweet Something said... @ May 18, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Nice! Love that fabric!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said... @ May 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Oh what a great DIY project. You are one clever and crafty girl.

I just finished a project that took 23 years to complete.
Come take a peek.

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said... @ May 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Gorgeous fabric! Fab pillow!!

Carmie, the Single Nester said... @ May 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM

This turned out great. I didn't do well in Home Ec when it came to sewing so I will try this.

Dianna said... @ May 18, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Stitch witchery is great stuff, I use it all the time. I've been wanting to make pillows, thanks for sharing.

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said... @ May 19, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Nice project, Jess! Love the fabric. Feel free to link to the Boardwalk Bragfest today, if you wish!

Always Nesting said... @ May 19, 2010 at 8:23 AM

What a great idea!! The pillow looks awesome.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said... @ May 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM

That is my kind of non-sewing! I need to try that. Thanks!

Natasha said... @ May 19, 2010 at 5:46 PM

A no-sew pillow? that is my kind of project! What a great idea. I am going to have to investigate this a bit more.

Best wishes,
Natasha.
PS Hope the rain goes away soon!

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said... @ May 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Jess, thank you so much for sharing this project. I found it amazing that you didn't need to sew in order to make a pillow, and then to end up with such a beautiful pillow for as little money as you spent. Excellent!!!

Maureen Makes It said... @ May 19, 2010 at 7:56 PM

That's so cute and so easy. What a great project for someone who doesn't sew but wants to make amazing things.

Julie @ Frugal and Fabulous Design said... @ May 21, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Hey Jess - don't forget to link up to my new blog party today!

www.FrugalFabulousDesign.com

Kimm at Reinvented said... @ May 23, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Love that fabric, girl! Can't wait to see the patio, glad you're enjoying decorating your new place!

Julie @ Frugal and Fabulous Design said... @ May 23, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I am a HUGE fan of Stitch Witchery!

Thank you so much for linking up to the party this week. :-)

Noah said... @ May 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Fabulous!! Thanks for the inspiration! I'm making them this weekend!!!

Colleen @ MuralMaker&More said... @ June 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I finally did a no-sew post and added this project! I've got to get some outdoor fabric! http://muralmaker1.blogspot.com/2010/06/no-sewlow-sew-projects.html

jen @ homeinthecountry said... @ July 7, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Adorable - love the fabric that you used! And for $5!? Wow!

Anonymous said... @ March 18, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Everything is very open with a precise description of the challenges.
It was truly informative. Your site is very
useful. Thanks for sharing!

My blog; online graduate Certificates

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.

Related Posts with Thumbnails