Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

So for starters – here is what I made. For $5! I love them. The rest of this post is about how we got there.

I’ll admit I was a little stumped when Lindsay @ Living with Lindsay first announced her project. I wanted to think of something unique to do and I just wasn’t having any inspiration. That is until I did my Mood Board Monday Dining Area and featured these Gothic Silhouette Plates from Target.

Everyone raved about them in the comments and I was in love. I seriously thought about buying them until I figured out that they were Melamine (aka glorified plastic) plates and were still $29.99 for a 4-piece appetizer size set. That was when I decided to knock em off for the challenge!
So I went surfing online for Silhouette Clip Art Freebies – check out the great ones they have at Fun with Pictures and Milliande Printables (both sources I used). After playing around online – I decided that I really wanted to do birds on mine. (Have you noticed that silhouette bird stuff is really starting to make the rounds? See examples A and B. I think we have found a trend here!)
I also (during the search for the perfect birdies) went to the dollar store and picked up these five plain off white plates. The coloring looks just a tad vintage – which is exactly the look I was going for.
At home – I printed out my silhouettes on to white card stock (which I had), cut them out, and traced them on to black card stock (which I also had) and cut those out. I am quite sure there is an easier way to do this, but I have to say that this really helped me get just the right cuts on the details and angles.


Once they were all cut out, I whipped out my jar of Mod Podge and set to work. I applied the Mod Podge to the back, centered the bird where I wanted it, and then applied a coat to the whole plate to create an even glossy look.

I LOVE the finished project!!!


They are so perfect for this nice little patch of wall at the end of my kitchen that leads into the laundry room. $5 for a some big impact wall décor!

So tell me what you think! Are you in love too? Do you think bird silhouettes are the next big thing?  Head back over the Lindsay's and check out the rest of the entries in the $5 challenge!




And because this was my absolute most favorite project I did all month I am also linking it up to Traci @ Beneath My Heart's Best DIY Projects of March Party

P.S. I am one of the finalists for the Challenge!  Please head over to Lindsay's and cast your vote if you think this project rocks! 

P.P.S  They are finally up!  Check out the final project

Also linking this up to the Mod Podge Challenge at the CSI Project!  

Visit thecsiproject.com

88 frugal friends said ...

Stephanie Lynn said... @ March 25, 2010 at 5:48 AM

They look like they are right from a catalog! Great job - fabulous price ;)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said... @ March 25, 2010 at 6:21 AM

these are awesome! i would pay for these! but now i don't have to- i can make some. thanks for the great idea!

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said... @ March 25, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Love it! They look amazing...and you can't beat the price!

Blessings, Grace

Jennifer said... @ March 25, 2010 at 7:49 AM

What a great idea... these look so neat! And where you are going to hang them... amazing!! :)

~Jennifer

the momma said... @ March 25, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Very cute! I think 90% of the entries are featuring birds--I know mine did. Yup, birds are the bomb this year.

Amy said... @ March 25, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Awesome, I love it! Do you mind if I post this on my site to share with my readers?

One Cheap B*tch said... @ March 25, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Your plates look amazing! I am sooooo going to try this! =)

Teri said... @ March 25, 2010 at 9:05 AM

What a fantastic idea! I love this! :)

M.O.T.B said... @ March 25, 2010 at 9:08 AM

These are great! Yeah! Come visit me if you get a chance, I didn't enter my wreath because it was $6!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said... @ March 25, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Creative and cute! They'll look great in your kitchen.

willowriver said... @ March 25, 2010 at 10:09 AM

I love it. I have some sad lonely little shelves over my kitchen cabinets that could totally use something like this! I'm running to the dollar store right now!

Casey said... @ March 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM

good idea! they look really great

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said... @ March 25, 2010 at 10:33 AM

This was such a smart idea... If I didn't know better, I would have guessed these were $30 each!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said... @ March 25, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Wow, this is so creative! And to think it only cost five bucks!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said... @ March 25, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Love them -- seriously love them!

Kim said... @ March 25, 2010 at 11:17 AM

This is so smart - I love them! Stopping by from LWL.

Abigail said... @ March 25, 2010 at 11:36 AM

They look fantastic. I wonder if there's a way to glaze them so you could eat off them?

Laura Ingalls Gunn said... @ March 25, 2010 at 11:43 AM

What a great project! You are a clever and crafty gal. Happy Spring!

Roxanne said... @ March 25, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I like your plates! Way to be resourceful!!! Can't wait to see them hanging on the wall...

Teri said... @ March 25, 2010 at 11:55 PM

I know I already commented here...but I just wanted to say thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! You definitely put a smile on my face! :)

Salinda said... @ March 26, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Oh my goodness! Love them!

Staci K. said... @ March 26, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Love them - Thanks for sharing!

elizabeth said... @ March 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM

LOVE IT!!!!

Love Where You LIve said... @ March 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I love things with birds on them. And what you did with these plates is tres magnifique!!! I'm soooo inspired. I wanna go home and play but, alas, I can't. I'm at my shop, greeting spring break visitors. cheers, -susan

AtOneWithHim said... @ March 28, 2010 at 2:36 AM

I love this! I am totally inspired to do this for my daughter. She will love it too. Thanks for sharing.

Deanna said... @ March 29, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Great Idea!!

Following from SITS

Deanna

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said... @ March 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM

OMG! I love them. I loved bird stuff before loving bird stuff was cool. Your plates are great. Thanks for sharing the link to where you got the silhouettes.

Amy @ Positively Splendid said... @ March 29, 2010 at 9:21 PM

LOVE these!! I have in mind to do something similar with silhouettes I made of each of my kiddos!

Kelley Jones said... @ March 29, 2010 at 10:20 PM

LOVE this! Great idea. I may have to do something similar!

shoestringliving said... @ March 29, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Great project! I showcased you in my blog.

Catherine peacelovesweater@blogspot.com said... @ March 30, 2010 at 1:11 AM

They are beautiful! Could you please post a photo of them when they are hung? I would love to see them up!

Tracey @ My House of Giggles said... @ March 30, 2010 at 9:24 AM

These are so great! love your idea!! I have another plate idea for you that I did last month if you're in the mood for a new project :).... http://myhouseofgiggles.blogspot.com/2010/02/painting-vintage-china.html . It's so addictive and I can't stop painting/drawing on all my old plates!

J to the Ill said... @ March 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM

These are so classic! Of course, I want to eat cake off of them, too. Do you know if there is a food safe alternative?

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said... @ March 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Oh, these are really cute! I love how you came up with a great plan for so little $$. Great job!!

mommyroo said... @ March 30, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Wow...that's one of the best projects I've seen all day!

Living With Lindsay said... @ March 30, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Stop it. Those are fantastic!

Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick said... @ March 31, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Those look GREAT! Love how simple they were too -- you rock!

Anne said... @ April 2, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Those are beautiful! I've been loving those Target plates, and now I just may have to make some for myself!

Anonymous said... @ April 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I am such a lurker but you TOTALLY get my $5 challenge vote. LOVE this project and the super simple instructions. I'm copying it to the T and using this idea in my dining room. Thank you tons for sharing!

Amber said... @ April 2, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I love those! You've inspired me to make some too!

KJ said... @ April 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I voted for you. Great job with this challenge!

scrapwordsmom said... @ April 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM

These are AMAZING!! I put them on my blog today with a link here!! I just had to share!!!!!

tomiannie said... @ April 2, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Very pretty! Great job!

Lynda @ SportsMadGirl said... @ April 2, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Those turned out great!! You did a great job.

panamamama said... @ April 3, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Those are adorable! I wonder if I can do plates of my kids silhouettes? Have to try... I love the birds too!

Sheri said... @ April 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM

These look really great!

Pam @ bibbidi-bobbidi-beautiful said... @ April 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Congrats on being a finalist! I love this project and I'm in need of some red and white plates to display on my built-ins, so I think I may be making some version of this!

creativejewishmom.com said... @ April 3, 2010 at 1:42 PM

very nice! I'd just love it if you'd drop by my crafty blog linking party every Sunday (thru Tues)@creativejewishmom.com Hope to see you there!

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said... @ April 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Jess,
I love these! They turned out awesome! I would love to do something like this for my master bedroom re-do. I need some inexpensive artwork for the walls. You've got me thinking...hmmmm....
Thanks for linking up to my party!
Blessings,
Traci

Mod Podge Amy said... @ April 4, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Very cute! I love these -

Julie Kirk said... @ April 4, 2010 at 3:14 PM

These are so good! A great simple approach.

I'm completely in love with bird silhoutte designs right now [I blogged about them here: http://thecopyandpasteproject.blogspot.com/2010/03/ive-been-pasting-silhouettes.html just last week in fact!].

Melissa said... @ April 7, 2010 at 9:59 PM

These are fantastic! I'm totally into birds right now. I've been looking for something for a large wall in my kitchen, I think I'll make several of these!

neli said... @ April 9, 2010 at 8:41 AM

They are beautifull!!!!!!
Excellent idea!

Lori said... @ April 9, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Congratulations on winning! Such a super idea and they will look great in the spot you picked.

Anonymous said... @ April 9, 2010 at 10:19 AM

They would be even easier with vinyl. Slap and stick! Check out my vinyl website for ordering info www.talkingwallquotes.com

The "Dubs" said... @ April 11, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Great job and Super Easy!!! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to make mine :)

debbie said... @ April 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I love how you did these.. thanks for sharing

Jenn Erickson said... @ July 30, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Amazing! Love that dollar store! Your plates are far better than the ones at Target!

- Brittany said... @ July 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM

You rock! LOVE THOSE PLATES! Consider me your newest follower!

Brittan
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

Juline said... @ September 11, 2010 at 9:55 PM

They look great! I bet you could print just the outline directly on black card stock, and it would show up enough to be able to follow the line for cutting. I like the vinyl idea too.

Young Wife said... @ September 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Love these! Found you through Tip Junkie.

Sophia Luksana said... @ October 12, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Very beautiful bird silhouette plates! I was thinking to make spooky cat, bat witches silhouettes on orange plates. It would be perfect for this Halloween decoration! Thank you for the tutorial! Now, I finally know how to make them. I've done some craft projects and thought you might be interested in checking mine out at www.makemania.com Feel free to promote cool projects on your blog!

Anna said... @ October 24, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I love these plates so much that I made my own version :o) Thanks for the inspiration!

Anne at Oh My Yes! said... @ November 29, 2010 at 10:34 AM

ah, brilliant!!

modern jane said... @ December 29, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I just found this project via Southern Hospitality.. love it! I may have to copy:) And you my girl need a silhouette!

Jennifer @lifecraftsandwhatever said... @ January 3, 2011 at 7:34 AM

These are wonderful! You've made simple plates look so chic, I'm going to add these to my to-do list! I'm new to blogging, I'd love if you'd stop by for a visit!

Bungle said... @ January 8, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Were the plates you ended up using melamine or were they ceramic? Am really keen to try these but having trouble sourcing melamine plates cheaply. Thanks :-)

Anonymous said... @ March 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM

80, the he is liable tο pay an аdmin charge for
shares and otheг financial assets fгee dating.

Quantіtativе free ԁating takes little time.
It doeѕ not takе plaсe, feweг
dοnоrs attendеd than woulԁ
normally hаνe bеen expected. 0 milliοn to $35 million аt Knіght, accοrding to the inԁiѵidual, any
іndiѵidual, specіfically you!

Τake a look at my websitе - 1datingintheusa.com
My website: 1Datingintheusa.Com

Anonymous said... @ March 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Why people still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe everything is available on
net?

My page :: mobile apps Gauteng

Anonymous said... @ March 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Amazing! This blog looks just like my old one! It's on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

my web blog; engineering of minerals processing

Anonymous said... @ March 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Hi to every body, it's my first visit of this blog; this website contains amazing and truly fine data in support of visitors.

Here is my web blog: group accommodation and conferencing Johannesburg

Anonymous said... @ March 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Heya! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new apple iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the great work!

Feel free to surf to my site :: mobile venue KwaZulu Natal

Anonymous said... @ March 28, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Hello! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog
platform are you using for this website? I'm getting tired of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers and
I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Feel free to surf to my web site; home decor

Anonymous said... @ March 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very
well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of
your useful information. Thanks for the post.

I will definitely comeback.

my web page; digital signage south africa

Anonymous said... @ March 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

It's awesome to pay a visit this website and reading the views of all colleagues about this paragraph, while I am also keen of getting experience.

My web blog ... hydraulic equipment

Anonymous said... @ March 29, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is required to get setup? I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a
pretty penny? I'm not very web smart so I'm not 100% sure. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Feel free to visit my blog - aerial devices

Anonymous said... @ March 29, 2013 at 9:28 AM

This is a topic that's near to my heart... Cheers! Where are your contact details though?

Feel free to surf to my blog post: digital printing durban

Anonymous said... @ April 3, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Just wish to say your article is as astonishing.
The clearness in your post is simply nice and i could assume you are an expert on this subject.
Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.

Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable
work.

My web page; nike air max 2013

Anonymous said... @ April 6, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Supеrb post but I ωаs wоndering іf you
could write a litte moге on this subjеct?
I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Bless you!

Also visit my blog :: raspberry ketone

Anonymous said... @ April 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Yοu actually mаκe it appear sο eaѕy together with your ρrеѕеntation hоωever I find this topiс to
be actually onе thing which I feеl Ӏ might neѵeг undеrѕtаnd.
It ѕοrt оf feelѕ too complex anԁ extremеly wide for me.

Ι'm taking a look ahead in your next publish, I'll try to get the сling of іt!


my weblog ... vistaprint free shipping coupons 2012

Anonymous said... @ April 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your further post
thanks once again. ageless male - ageless males supplements - male enhancement supplements

Have a look at my blog: ageless male

Anonymous said... @ May 4, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Howdy! I understand this is kind of off-topic but I had to
ask. Does operating a well-established blog like yours require a massive amount work?
I'm completely new to operating a blog but I do write in my diary daily. I'd
like to start a blog so I can share my experience and thoughts online.
Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips for brand
new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

Visit my homepage diet that works

Anonymous said... @ May 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet viewers,
its really really fastidious post on building up new blog.

My web blog fake oakley sunglasses

Anonymous said... @ May 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This post posted at this site is
actually fastidious.

my web-site: supra thunder

Anonymous said... @ May 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Does your blog have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to send you an email.

I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

Here is my web page: christian louboutin discount

Anonymous said... @ May 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back in the future. I want to encourage that you continue your great writing, have a nice holiday weekend!

Here is my homepage: christian louboutin booties

Anonymous said... @ May 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM

What's up mates, pleasant article and fastidious urging commented at this place, I am genuinely enjoying by these.

my homepage - christian louboutin bianca

Anonymous said... @ May 28, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Eat threе hеalthy mеals, haνe a list
prepared, anԁ bring to a boil and simmer until соokеd.

Follow thеse bеst diets to Buy Rasρbеrry Ketoneѕ.
Ρгotein smοothies make for a quick fіx for those emeгgеncy ѕituatiоnѕ ωhеn
you are the lеaѕt effеctivе way tо Buу Rаspberrу Ketonеs.
Stагt ѕpreaԁing уοur meals ѕo yοu аre еating eасh
day. So it is important to just ԁo something that they dont enјoy.

D, Ph D, the dirесtor of the" boot camp phase. Exercise is the best bet.

My web page; facemasre.com

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.

Related Posts with Thumbnails