Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

So if you have been following me recently you know I have been obsessed with the idea of decorating with spring colors. My most recent rundown was with green. I also came home from Hobby Lobby the other day with some fun new project ideas. These two things have collided to become my latest crafty venture!

So as I was shopping the fantastic deals the other day at Hobby Lobby, I came across these cute wooden apples at 80% off.  Although, they were in a very unappetizing gray color, I also found this uber cute basket and an idea started to form in my head.
So I got home and got to work.  

Why hello there my pretty.  What you need is some color.  And I know just the right one. 


I thought that some fresh green paint would be just the trick for these babies.


It ended up coming out a little brighter than what I anticipated.

But in the end, it achieved the look I wanted.

I especially love how they look in the cute basket!  See you can see that pop of color!  

I think I would like to darken them up a little or add a little definition.  What say you my crafty friends?  What would be the best way to get them a little darker but still maintain that great bright spring feel?  I am all ears!



I am linking this up to

21 frugal friends said ...

Sinful Southern Sweets said... @ March 1, 2010 at 6:12 AM

I love that idea!! Very springy!

Anonymous said... @ March 1, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Very cute! I love apples and the color green! What a nice spring accent.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said... @ March 1, 2010 at 9:00 PM

So much better than gray! Perfect for spring. :-)

Heather said... @ March 1, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Love them apples:)

concretenprimroses said... @ March 2, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Nice green and they look great in the basket.
Kathy

KimMalk said... @ March 2, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Jess, thank you for linking up with my first party venture. This arrangement is so pretty! I'm a green girl, too.

sweetjeanette said... @ March 2, 2010 at 8:22 AM

How adorable is that?!!! and I am in love with that basket!!!! I want one!!!!! (I'm such a "basket case" )

Young Wife said... @ March 2, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Cute! I'd use a bit of glaze here and there.

Heidi said... @ March 2, 2010 at 11:25 AM

HI Jess,
I think they look great the way they are now, that's one of my favorite colors. But if you think they need to be darker, consider rubbing some brown paste shoe polish on them where you want the detail to show. That might work really well and it's super easy!
I'd love it if you'd stop by for a visit sometime.
Have a great day!
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

Marilyn Holeman said... @ March 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I just popped over from "Reinvented." Cute project--and I LOVE the basket!

Blessings!

Megan Gunyan said... @ March 3, 2010 at 9:15 AM

That's very cute. I love the color. I agree-some glaze would darken them up a bit. But, they look adorable the way they are now!

Molly Anne said... @ March 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM

GRAY apples? Ummm...dear Hobby Lobby...what are you thinking?

Anyway at least you got them for a super deal! I don't think they are too bright. One of my favorite things is Granny Smith apples in a bowl and they are even brighter than that! But if you want to darken them, one of my favorite tricks is to make a "wash" with acrylic craft paint in "Burnt Umber" - rub or brush it on. I've used that trick many times!

Ramsey said... @ March 3, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I love green! So springy. Paint really is a miracle worker!
Happy Wednesday!
Ramsey

Unknown said... @ March 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM

So cute Jess, we all need some spring color! If you still want to darken them, I'd just add a little glaze. Just brush on and wipe off. Have fun!

Amanda said... @ March 3, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I bought the grey pears! I painted them today and took pictures, intending to blog about them. Now that it's dark out and the lights are on inside, they look almost neon green. I'm going to have to tone those babies down and redo the photo shoot. Your apples turned out really well!

Emily {Frilly Details} said... @ March 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Those are so cute!

Teri said... @ March 3, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Freaking adorable! I wouldn't change the colour at all...I think they look really fresh and spring-y! Congrats on the new place. We moved to a three-bedroom house from a single-wide trailer last year, so I can definitely relate. I can't wait to see what your creativity does with all that space! :)

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said... @ March 4, 2010 at 6:39 AM

I love Heidi's idea of using some brown paste shoe polish...

Unknown said... @ March 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Oh, I love these! I actually love the idea of things coming back to life and this project is right up that alley!
If you're interested, we have a Friday Fun Find party... we'd love it if you'd link up!

Lori said... @ March 6, 2010 at 7:52 AM

I love the green apples. They did need a bit of color!! Great job

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. Please join me next week for another great party.
Lori

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said... @ March 6, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Love the green you picked! They look perfect for Spring. Thanks for sharing them at the POPP.

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails