Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

It's Mood Board Monday time again!  I love this party - I always start out stumped and end up creating something that I love!

For this round, Sarah at Pewter + Sage is hosting and she picked out these two inspiration pieces. 

First, we have the Andalusia Rug from West Elm. 
And next we have the St. John's Indoor/Outdoor Stripe Rug from Dash and Albert. 

Against my normal tendency to gravitate towards blue, I decided to pick the yellow rug.  I wanted to do it in a fun dining area and here is what I came up with this time! This is my slightly whimsical take on yellow, black, and white.





Ok - so lets break this down shall we! While the rug is ever so slightly modern, I felt like it could also show off playfully in a traditional room.  The furniture is all done in traditional lines in an deep espresso color.  I decided I would want to change out the beige microfiber on the chairs and found the Hopsack fabric in the same yellow shade would really make the chairs pop.  I also carried the color up by using it in the cornice as well.  I think I would do a black ribbon border on the drapes to give them a little more definition. 

The remaining accessories are fun and whimsical.  The vases are very modern while the prints maintain a traditional vibe.  I wanted to keep the table grounded in traditional white place settings but throw in a little fun and contrast with the black and grey patterned dinnerware.  Finally - I love the gothic touch with the sillhouete appetizer plates which I would hang on the wall.     

And now for the details. Starting from the top right we have
- A Yellow Fabric Covered Window Cornice from Target for $79.99-$139.99
- An Ivory Window Panel from Target for $24.99
- A 4 Door Lowboy from Home Decorators Outlet for $184.99
- A Set of Vases from Target that range from $19.99-$49.99
- Two Brown and White Daisy Prints from Target for $49.99
- A 20 Piece White Porcelain Dinnerware Set from Target for $39.99
- A Black and White Floral Patterned Set from Target - 4 pieces for $19.99
- A 48 inch Solid Wood Dining Table from Overstock for $277.99
- A Set of 2 Dining Chairs from Overstock for $104.99
- Yellow Hopsack Fabric from Fabric.com for $6.98 a yard
- A Four Piece Gothic Silhouette Plate set for $29.99

So what do you think?  Does it work?  How do you get playful with your decorating? 

Head on over to Sarah's to check out the rest of the Mood Board Entries.
 

14 frugal friends said ...

Claudya Martinez said... @ March 8, 2010 at 7:29 PM

I love the silhouette plates!

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said... @ March 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM

This is really cool... can I say I LOVE Target? I sure do!

P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog, glad you liked the cake :)

Tracy Watier said... @ March 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Love the combo of black, white and gold. Modern but warm. Those appetizer plates are great!

Sarah said... @ March 9, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Hey, Jess! Thanks for playing again!! I think its great that you challenged yourself with the yellow rug. And that you took on a dining room...I don't think anyone else did one this time round. You can't go wrong with black, white and a color, so this is a great versatile palette. I love how you mixed up the styles too...and those silhouette plates rock!!! Awesome job:)

Roeshel said... @ March 9, 2010 at 6:16 PM

So pretty! I love the plates (all of them, especially the silhouette ones). Everything came together beautifully. Great job!

Roeshel

Nanny Goats In Panties said... @ March 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Wow! You clearly have an eye for putting things together. And to be able to go to Target means it won't bite so hard to make a room look so good. Well done!

Hope you're having a great day (visiting from SITS).

- Margaret

Anonymous said... @ March 9, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Yay for inexpensive but totally awesome rooms! It's gorgeous :)

Jen J. said... @ March 11, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I love your room! I really like the silhouette plates - how unique!

Sarah @ The Clueless Homeowners said... @ March 11, 2010 at 10:50 AM

What a great room! Those silhouette plates are great. I think I might have to grab them!

Terrie said... @ March 16, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Sorry I'm so slow getting back to see everyone else's boards - you made an inviting dining room - how about a bold touch of red for even more whimsy? The plates were a cool find but since I collect cool salad plates, I'm drawn to those great plates from Target. Now if there was only a Target in town.... (I live in a really small town)
Terrie @ YourDecoratingHotline.com

Karen said... @ May 6, 2010 at 7:56 AM

I'm just loving your design. I ordered the Adalusia rug for my entry and will be adding black and white elements too so this is right up my alley! I wish I'd known about this Mood Board Monday or I would have posted my own. It's scheduled to post tomorrow, but I've been enjoying looking at everyone's ideas.

Unknown said... @ May 8, 2022 at 7:49 PM

check over hereher comment is here check my blogblog link see it hereclick for source

mcshathe said... @ June 15, 2022 at 1:33 PM

informative post Full Article Look At This bags replica gucci Continue visit site

ryppoo said... @ June 19, 2022 at 10:47 PM

Bonuses replica gucci bags check out this site my sources why not check here my explanation

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails