Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

I finally found the box with the picture hanging stuff in it!  So without further ado ... we have Birds on the Wall!  (I seriously thought about composing a version of Pants on the Ground - but I could not do it better than the General!)

I still can't believe I made these beauties for just $5 - check out my Bird Silhouette Project here if you want the details.

Aren't they beautiful???  I love them!

While we all gaze at their beauty - let me answer a couple of questions that people have asked.  The most common question is "Can't you do a glaze that you can also eat off of?" I looked into this and you most certainly cannot do it with Mod Podge.  The only possible way I found to do this would be to get glass plates and to decoupage the silhouette on to the underside of the plate.  Even then - you would need to watch washing it. 

Another fantastic reader (Tracey @ My House of Giggles) shared with me a project that she did with Ceramic Paint Markers.  These turned out fantastically and I think I am going to have to get some of these markers to play with too! You still can't eat off them, but if you can draw - I think these would be amazing! 

So let's just take one last look at my pretty birds!  If you haven't gotten a chance to vote yet - please stop by Lindsay's for the $5 Challenge Finalists and check out the rest of the great projects!  If you think my birds are tops - feel free to vote for them!  :)

Now, any ideas with what I do with that plant ledge?  It is as deep as my laundry area!  Should I put stuff up there or just leave it empty? 



Linking this up to the following parties

DIY Day with Kimba @ A Soft Place to Land 
Get Your Craft On with Kim @ Today's Creative Blog

P.S. I won!!!  Thanks to all for voting for me!!! :)  

14 frugal friends said ...

Jennifer said... @ April 6, 2010 at 1:25 AM

HOW CUTE!!! Love it!! I love modge podge too, I JUST discovered it! it's pretty cool stuff huh?! I love that you are so crafty cause I've just been bitten by the craft bug and I just want to connect with other crafters (or wanna-be's like me) and get more cool ideas!! Thanks for this one!

And thanks for stopping by my blog for my SITS day! I'm slowly making my way through all of the commenters. You really make my day special! And I'm glad it brought me here! :)

Julie said... @ April 6, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Great job on the plates! I think a collection of white stoneware vases or bowls would look great on your ledge above the plates.--Just an idea!

kate @sweet cricket stationery said... @ April 6, 2010 at 7:27 AM

i have a weakness for bird silhouette stuff..something about it is so modern and fresh, and I love these plates! I tried to do a plate hanging project in my kitchen a few years ago where I had a ton of space up very high that needed some decorating, and I collected vintage plates in similar colors to hang in the space, but it was time consuming to find all the different plates and it never really looked that good :(...I'll have to try this. thanks for posting this!

Tracey @ My House of Giggles said... @ April 6, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Jess!! Thanks so much for featuring my little plate! It's really very easy to do, and I think every girl should have a trusty porcelain pen! :) I can't get the correct information on whether it's food safe or not....some sites say it is, some say it's not. I'm wondering why they would make it dishwasher safe if it wasn't food safe?...weird.

Anyways....I love how your bird plates look on your wall!! amazing! That is quite the ledge above them.....I think a previous commenter's idea of a collection of white stoneware would suit really well :)

M.O.T.B said... @ April 6, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Looks great! But we knew they would!

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said... @ April 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM

They'd be gorgeous at $50 dollars! Can't believe you made them for 5!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said... @ April 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM

These are GORGEOUS!!! You did such an amazing job. : )

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said... @ April 6, 2010 at 1:03 PM

You did a great job! I love the birdie plates!

Karen said... @ April 7, 2010 at 7:33 AM

If you sold those on Etsy you'd make a small fortune. They are fan-tas-tic!

I always have trouble styling the area above my kitchen cabinets too. One idea might be baskets(so you can store things in them). My mother-in-law has all white ceramic items on hers and it looks fabulous. You could find a lot of items that you like and spray paint them the same color to get that kind of look.

Lori Anderson said... @ April 7, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Love the bird plates and your site! I found your through the BlogFrog. I look forward to seeing you around the community!
All the Best,
Lori (the BlogFrog)

The House Creative said... @ April 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I love how those turned out. They look amazing hanging on the wall like that. I would love for you to swing by and share a Spring related project my blog party, Bring In The Spring. It starts tonight!

Queenie Jeannie said... @ April 8, 2010 at 10:09 AM

They look amazing!!!!

As for the empty space, wow it's huge!!! I'm not sure I would try to fill it up though. It might look better bare!

"Yeah, that works..!" said... @ April 11, 2010 at 7:59 AM

The birdies look wonderful. Typically I am not a fan of hanging any kind of plates, but those really work! On the ledge, the first thing that came to my mind is to display a few of the old-timey wire (sometimes they are wooden) birdcages painted black to tie into the color and theme of the silhouettes...

Janis said... @ September 3, 2010 at 9:33 PM

i love, love, love these! I am going to have to make a set for myself.

As for the shelf area, why not continue with the bird theme you have started. Maybe an old bird cage spray painted black in the back left corner Add a couple of concrete bird statues painted either black (to continue in the same vein) or aqua (or another fun color) used as an accnet. Next maybe a nice branch spray painted in the same black as the bird cage.

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails