Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

One of the unfortunate parts of buying nice decorators fabric is that even if you get it half off or at a great price - it is still expensive.  And often you end up with leftover pieces that are too small to do anything substantial.  Which is where I was with some of the great fabric leftover from recovering my dining room chairs.  Since it is fabric from the dining set I was trying to think of things that I might be able to do with it to complement the area.   And what I thought of was napkin rings! 

But I needed something to make the "ring" out of something.  How about pieces of paper towel and toilet paper holders?

On their own - they were a little flimsy so I cut another roll in half and placed inside for a little more stability.  Then to make it extra durable - I reinforced with duct tape.  Please see a lovely "progression" picture below. 

Then covered each roll with batting.  I cut the batting a little larger than the roll and used it to round out the edges a little.  Don't use too much or your will lose the functionality of your hole! (I can't believe I just typed that - but it is true!)  Next, I simply glue gunned the batting on to each roll.

I took my piece of fabric and glued down a small portion to make a clean "seam".  I then glued the fabric on and overlaid the "seamed" end over the rough cut end to give it a clean look. 

See!  Then all you have to do is fold in the remaining fabric into the tube and glue down.

And that is it - totally free customized napkin rings!  I love how they turned out! 

I still have some extra fabric.  Any other ideas on what I can do with the rest of the remnants?

18 frugal friends said ...

Looking Glass Jewels said... @ April 27, 2010 at 1:41 AM

What a great idea! They turned out beautifully - I would never ever think that you used paper towel/TP rolls to make them! I love it!

Sharon said... @ April 27, 2010 at 5:51 AM

would be fun to do with my kids - great idea!

My Galveston Cottage said... @ April 27, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Great idea!!! Love the idea of using what you already have and avoiding waste. Good show. cheers, -s

Karen said... @ April 27, 2010 at 7:31 AM

I don't know how much you have left over, but you could cut our squares or circles of the fabric and use them between pieces of your china to keep them from scratching each other.

Anonymous said... @ April 27, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Very creative. I'll bookmark this page so I can reference later on when I give this project a whirl!
~Erin

chris said... @ April 27, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Fun idea. Thanks for sharing.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said... @ April 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Clever! I like this idea, Jess.

P.S. I posted some of the scary MLS photos you sent me today. Thanks again! :)

Anonymous said... @ April 27, 2010 at 12:24 PM

How simple and easy!

Thanks for stopping by on my SITS day.

TLF said... @ April 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Too cute.. I just love this idea.. Thanks for sharing!
My friend hotpants sent me your way.. off to check out your blog. :)

Anonymous said... @ April 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM

The simplest things turn out to be the most brilliant! I love it.

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said... @ April 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Great project! Can you embellish your exisiting placemats? Coasters?

Unknown said... @ April 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Awesome, love the duct tape addition! thanks for linking up!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said... @ April 28, 2010 at 10:04 AM

This is great, Jess! I'm printing this out for my Blog Ideas binder. I just made some napkins {most recent post} and I think some napkin rings in a coordinating fabric might be in order. In that same post, I have challenged myself to find projects to use my fabric samples. Mine is not so much because of cost {I get mine free}, but because I have too darn many now!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said... @ April 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Those turned out great Jess. I have a whole bin of pieces of leftover fabric. I just made a patchwork wristlet out of a bunch of scraps from my daughter's quilt. I think I'm going to have to give your napkin rings a try.

Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

Katie said... @ April 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Wow, super cute idea!! Having a party in a few weeks, and this is such a great idea!

Unknown said... @ April 30, 2010 at 3:54 PM

LOVE this... I love free/cheap ideas that turn out so fabulously!
We have a friday fun finds party... we'd love it if you'd link to this! :)

the cape on the corner said... @ May 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM

great idea!

Sarah said... @ July 6, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I am totally doing this with my left over curtian fabric. I love it and want to spread it around the house. Great way to add it to my kitchen :)

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails