Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Finally - the to-do list and the weather have cooperated and I can show you my patio redo!  So what we started with was this - the world's smallest patio.  And I wanted to turn it into a book nook, since a single chair was almost the only thing that that would fit out there.


And here is what I have done to it!  Check it out!

Ta-da!  I love it!  Here are some more pics!  (I apologize in advance for the pic intensive post!) A view from farther away.  It looks great from the street! (And per the hubby - my neighbors are a lil jealous of it!)

So let's break down the changes I made.  First, I built these fantastic lattice planters.  I was inspired by this project at HGTV Rate my Space.  I am going to do a run down this week on how to build them.   

I hung my PB Knockoff Mason Jar Lanterns on them!  They are sooo cute!

I also added two Shepard's Hooks with hanging baskets and some other planters.  I am loving all the flowers out here!

Speaking of flowers - I am in love with these!  They are called Mandevilla or Brazilian Jasmine.  They have the most gorgeous blooms! 

I am in love with them (I know I already said it once - but I mean it)!  So much so that I am actually going to try to winter them inside once it starts getting cold! 

They are sooo beautiful!  They are supposed to bloom all summer long and can climb a trellis to over 15 feet high!  I love em! I plan on posting so more pics later this summer so I can show you their progress!

And of course - every book nook needs a place to sit and read.  Here is mine.  My chair is a rocker - which I love.  I also have an umbrella for the stand under that table that I can use to shade my fair-skinned self if it is too sunny!  And of course, a comfy pillow!

Ahhh... now if you don't mind, I have a glass of iced tea and a book to get in to!  Anyone got any good summer reads for me this summer? 

**UPDATE - the "how-to" build these beautiful boxes is up!  Check it out!

Linking this up to
Met Monday with Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
Made it Monday with Jules @ The Persimmon Perch
It's So Very Creative with Cheri @ It's So Very Cheri  
DIY Day with Kimba @ A Soft Place to Land
Trash to Treasure Tuesday with Kimm @ Reinvented
Saturday Night Special with Donna @ Funky Junk Interiors

And because this was my FAVORITE project of the month, I am also linking it up to the Best DIY Projects of May Party with Traci @ Beneath My Heart.  Head over and check out the rest of blogland's favorite projects!

27 frugal friends said ...

the cape on the corner said... @ May 23, 2010 at 9:11 PM

oh my gosh, i love it. you had great design ideas here, for sure. you made the space feel bigger, private, and comfortable. can't believe it's the same cement slab snore!

Tara said... @ May 23, 2010 at 9:16 PM

It looks fantastic!!! Great job!!

Tanya said... @ May 23, 2010 at 9:29 PM

What a nice little corner to getaway to!

Maria Killam said... @ May 23, 2010 at 10:04 PM

That is so adorable, I love what you did, now we have atmosphere galore!!!

Gracefully Vintage said... @ May 23, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Great job. Looks great-like the mason jars-so cute-
Karryann

Donna said... @ May 23, 2010 at 11:54 PM

You did such a great job with such a little space! I'm anxious to see how that vine does, as I want some kind of vine, too.

D

Grace Adams said... @ May 24, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Very nice! I've never been able to get a vine to actually climb what I want it to. That's going to be so pretty!

gena said... @ May 24, 2010 at 9:30 AM

What a great use of space ! Looks like a perfect place to sit with a glass of lemonade and a good book - Enjoy !

gena
www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

Ms. Understood said... @ May 24, 2010 at 9:31 AM

I cannot believe the after. You did a great job!! I need to get out in the dreary back yard now and make it look alive.

Stopping by from SITS.

Sandra said... @ May 24, 2010 at 9:35 PM

It looks very inviting. I love it!

Lynn said... @ May 25, 2010 at 6:27 AM

This is a special place indeed-congrats! Love the planters!

Amber D said... @ May 25, 2010 at 7:20 AM

Great job I love the color of the flowers and the candles in Coffee look so cool!

PS found you on Reinvented. Come check out my project It wasn't nearly as big of a project as yours...www.lifelovegreen.com

Reunion Committee said... @ May 25, 2010 at 8:01 AM

That looks amazing. Seriously amazing! A lil oasis!
Read "The Carries Diary" Fun summer read. lol
~Tana

Pam said... @ May 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM

It's a comfy, lovely space now. Well done! Those mason jar lanterns are so cute too. Are those coffee beans the votives are sitting on?

M.O.T.B said... @ May 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Very inviting! Enjoy your summer. And I suggest Carrie Diaries if you have ever been a SATC fan or Shadow of Your Smile by Mary Higgins Clark!

Anonymous said... @ May 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Very, very nice. It's a beautiful space and looks like a wonderful peaceful place to read. Enjoy it! I think Mandevilla climbs and comes back every year- you chose well!

Iron Girl!! said... @ May 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Lovely, just lovely! I can see why your neighbors would be jealous! Great job on all the color, texture and details. Love, love the built-in flower box.

Melissa said... @ May 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM

oooh, love those lattice planter boxes. Very clever!

Bring Pretty Back said... @ May 26, 2010 at 10:30 AM

This looks GREAT! What a great place to go for some time alone! LOVE IT!

Kathleen @ Measuring My Life said... @ May 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM

This looks awesome! Love that rocker, where'd you get it and how much was it?

BLJ Graves Studio said... @ June 1, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Such a fabulous use of your small space. I agree with your hubby, your neighbors are probably jealous. They may be asking you for help making over their space. :-)

Unknown said... @ June 1, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Fabulous! Love those planters. No wonder the neighbors are jealous, I'm jealous too!

Tru said... @ June 3, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Very nice. Good job transforming a small unattractive space into something beautiful.

Anonymous said... @ April 13, 2011 at 8:45 AM

so smart!! I have an indoor reading area in my covered two-season patio. I think I'll use this to make my little spot more comfy and pretty. Thanks for the idea seeds!!

Gerry Bossier said... @ April 25, 2011 at 9:58 PM

This is a terrific idea, Jess! It's no wonder why your neighbors are jealous. LOL! Seriously, you transformed it into a relaxing reading spot, plus that rocking chair.

Angelina Garcia said... @ December 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Amazing! That fence around your patio is absolutely stunning. What a great idea! It’s like having your own little corner of the world. It’s private and intimate, yet open to nature. Great job with your patio!

julia said... @ August 18, 2023 at 1:52 AM

This one look really beautiful and amazing. I love it. I hope in future you share more good updates with us. Now it's time to avail Baby Liquid Soap for more information.

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails