Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

I hope everyone is having a fantastic Labor Day weekend!  This is our “anniversary weekend” (what can I say we like to celebrate!) and we have enjoyed a very relaxing time with the Lil Man!  He is too much fun!  In between hanging out with him though – I managed to make a cute fall wreath that I can’t wait to show you guys!  Isn’t it adorable?

DSC09011

Ok – so how did this pretty little creation come about?  Well for starters, I decided I wanted to make a fabric flower wreath after seeing WAAAAY too many that I loved all over blogland and Pinterest.  But I didn’t want to spend a ton of time making fabric flowers.  I do have a 9.5 week old baby that requires a lot of my free time!  So instead of cutting out multiple layers and stacking them – I decided to make two different types of flowers that only require one long strip of fabric.

For the first kind of flower, I took a strip of fabric and folded it accordion style.

DSC08983

Then I stitched the front corner together. 

DSC08985

Next, I cut around the edges one side to make them look more “petal” like.

DSC08986

And then we you unfold it and put both ends together – you get a nice flower!  See!

DSC08988

Then you just run a quick stitch down the ends to keep your flower together.

DSC08989

The second way I came up with was to again fold the flower accordion style and trim the edges.

DSC08990 Then, holding the first petal in the center – I folded each subsequent petal under and around until you make a full “flower”.  Then just throw a couple stitches in the middle to hold all the petals together and you have a flower.

DSC08991

Either one of these methods will allow you to make several flowers very quickly.  I made all the ones for this wreath in an hour one night while catching up on an episode of The Closer.  (I love that show!) 

Then I needed a wreath!  I decided to try out a tip I found on Pinterest and shared on my Facebook page last week.  Instead of paying for a wreath form, I went to Lowe’s and picked up a piece of 6 foot by 1 inch pipe wrap from the plumbing department.  It cost about $1.50 with tax.  And because it was 6ft long – I was able to cut it in half and I can make another wreath out of the rest later on!

DSC08993

The other awesome thing about using this pipe wrap means that you can make your wreath into whatever shape you like.  I decided to turn mine into a tear drop shape and then wrapped it with yarn. 

Next – I used button covers (which you can find with the zippers and other findings in your fabric store) and spray painted them with my favorite can of Krylon ORB!  (Oil Rubbed Bronze – for any newbies)  Rather than stitch them onto the flowers since I was pressed for time – I used a hot glue gun and just stuck them on!  I love that they look a little like Black Eyed Susan's! 

DSC09000

Then I put the flowers on using some stick pins and voila – I had a beautiful scrappy fall wreath!!

DSC09009

How about a few more shots of it?  Ok!

DSC09013

I also made a little hanger by braiding a couple pieces of yarn together.  Cute huh?  I love it!

DSC09002

So there you go!  A quick easy scrappy fall wreath!  I just love how it turned out!  One last picture ok? :)

DSC09004

Alrighty – what do you think?  Think you will make one like it?  Love my quick and dirty flowers?  I wanna know!

Linking this up to

I Made a Wreath out of What? Party with The Nester @ The Nesting Place
Metamorphosis Monday with Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
Tip Me Tuesday with Laurie @ Tip Junkie
Before and After Party with Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Get Your Craft On with Kim @ Today’s Creative Blog
Tutorials and Tips Tuesday with Beth @ Home Stores A to Z


 

10 frugal friends said ...

Morgan said... @ September 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM

This is so so cute! I love the yarn aspect, it looks great and is affordable! I also have a huge surplus of yarn on hand.

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy said... @ September 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM

So, so, so cute Jess. I only wish I'd come up with this myself...guess I'll just have to copy you now :o)

laurabun said... @ September 5, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Yes, you are a delight to read and follow! And with a tiny baby too! Makes me wish I had used my time more wisely when my kids were younger, instead of sleeping!! But, since they are grown and I have a LOT of time on my hands, I'll use your tutorial and add a down and dirty wreath to MY front door!! Thanks, FWAF!!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said... @ September 5, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Too cute, Jess! And yay for finding time to craft with such a little baby! :)

Hello, I'm Laura said... @ September 5, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Your wreath is adorable ~ I love it!

I am hosting a new linky party on Wednesdays ~ FALL in Love With Your Home. I'd love for you to join in the fun.

Have a very happy Labor day!

BluBabesCreate said... @ September 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM

That was a lot of gorgeous handiwork! Come see some of my wreaths under seasonal and Ferris Bueller chairs.

VICTORIA said... @ September 5, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Great yarn aspect as well,Your are so very-creative! Lovely ideas! And they do look fabulous!

Adlina Husaini said... @ September 6, 2011 at 12:13 AM

wow this is my 1st time coming here and just fall in love to explore more ^_^ thank for your kind sharing, so easy pezy..might try it soon

love
adlina
malaysia

Eve said... @ September 6, 2011 at 10:59 PM

My door is currently naked and this is just the inspiration I needed. Thanks! I pinned this for future reference.

If you have a spare minute I would love it if you would enter my giveaway for a custom made pinstripe skirt with pockets.

http://theorchardinbloom.blogspot.com/2011/08/pinstripe-skirt-giveaway.html

Tammy said... @ September 7, 2011 at 9:05 AM

That is just totally adorable!!!

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.

Related Posts with Thumbnails