Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Well – it is time for me to do my update. I am sure you can tell from the title of the post that this isn't going to go well.



If you remember from last week, I was all excited that I was able to do a little more restocking and only spent $57. This week I was just going to need the following.

- bananas
- salad stuff
- turkey bacon
- egg whites
- 4 lean cuisines (my lunches)
- individual frozen veggie package (also for my lunch)
- milk
- cooking spray (my can was running on fumes)
- butter
- shampoo and conditioner
- shave gel

Not too bad right. So I went to the store. Quick trip – no worries.

Well my BFF Meighan called me back and I really wanted to talk to her. So I was “that girl” on her cell in the grocery store. Normally my family and friends know I don’t do that. I am the first to say “Well, I am walking in the store gotta go – don’t want to be that person!” But I really miss her and so I was "that girl" and I went on auto pilot. I walked my regular route in the store, rather than just going to get the things on my list.

So I walked past the meat – even though I had a freezer full – I saw that there was a great sale on chuck roast. Then I walked by the fish and there was a buy one get one. Then I walked by and saw my bag o frozen chicken tenderloins was half price (we were almost out anyways). Then when I went to go get the frozen veggies – I saw they were having a great sale on those so I loaded up. And then I remembered that the hubby asked for some of those nutritional shakes so I grabbed some of those on sale too. I was back up to the cash registers – told Meggie that I had to get in line, and started unloading the cart.

$92 dollars later – I was walking out the door wondering how I was going to write this post. Oh I was ashamed. How could I participate in something where I hear about large families spending a $30 and I can’t even do that. The shame ….

But here is the deal … my big mistake was following my regular routine. I shopped the way I normally shop – if it is on sale and it is a regular staple, I buy it. That is cheaper in the long run then having to buy it when I need it and it is not on sale.

Regardless of the sale or the savings – the issue is are you willing to get out of your comfort zone, your routine, your schedule, your habits, your regular practices to make a difference in the way you are living your life (and spending your money)? That is the bottom line. That is the crux of the problem. For me – the dwindling of a pantry puts me back to a time when I didn’t have a lot of money. Having a full pantry is like a security blanket for my family. To really be successful at this I have to let go of the blanket and be willing to trust that my stockpile isn’t necessary.

What is it in your life that you need to let go of and trust in? I am quite sure for me this isn’t the only thing. Does it start with trusting that there will be food before you can trust that everything else will work? I really do want to know your thoughts on this!




Linking this up to Money Saving Mom's Update Post Party!

8 frugal friends said ...

Corrie Howe said... @ January 27, 2010 at 8:40 AM

I've been following your theme and thinking I need to try this, because I have a full pantry and two refrigerators and an extra freezer.

It would be a stretch outside my routine, where I can go through the day without much thought or extra effort.

Unknown said... @ January 27, 2010 at 10:42 AM

OH NOOOOOOOOO!
I can imagine how you feel! Since starting my extreme couponing anytime I don't get the best deal I totally feel like an epic failure! Chin up atleast you tried...i didn't!

Steph said... @ January 28, 2010 at 6:03 AM

I hate it when I forget about a coupon. It literally kills me inside. My husband HATES when I stand in the store digging through my books looking for them!

...stopping by from SITS...

Steph @ A Grande Life

Keri @ Spirit of Power said... @ January 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM

If a sale is that good, I will stock up if I have the money in my budget, regardless of how much we have at home. If I can freeze it or it can live in the pantry, I want to buy it when it is cheap, so I don't run out when it isn't.
I know that pantry challenges are supposed to be different, but I think I would feel awful if I skipped stocking up on something during a sale because I was doing a pantry challenge, only to run out later and realize I will have to pay more now to replenish. Then again, I almost never have things I run out of, because I stock up on what I use when it is on sale, so most grocery shopping is specifically done to get what is on sale that week and stick it into the stock pile to work from.

Stopping by from SITS - love the blog!

Melissa B. said... @ January 28, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I'd be afraid to whip something up with odds and ends. You're a brave soul!

Lia at Petite Little Bee said... @ January 29, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Just stopped by from SITS to say hello. Thanks for sharing your wonderful site. Cheers, Lia

Unknown said... @ June 21, 2022 at 10:41 PM

Visit This Link click here to investigate helpful site view website pop over to this site go to these guys

phynel said... @ August 29, 2022 at 6:25 PM

j4x15i3l62 e0v28p7j80 t0h30t7h53 w0o72x3p82 n3k04n5y59 x3j94b9x86

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails