Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Hey guys!  Sorry for being away for so long!  We traveled back to see my Dad for an early Christmas.  It was a lot of fun – but I didn’t have near the time I wanted to be able to get online.  Also – I know I owe a ton of you emails and and such.  I just switched over to a new computer and I don’t have everything transitioned – including all my software for email and such.  So I am running a little slow right now!  Don’t worry!  I will get around to everyone soon!! 

I know I had a ton of you ask how I made the little ornament tree that was in front of my NOEL sign on my mantel. 

Well it was really easy!  So I wanted to show you guys how to do it too.  First, I got a bunch of these mini ornaments from Target.  I think they also have them at the dollar store too.  I took off the little silver tops that you would normally put the ornament hangers through – they just twist right off.

DSC06999

Next I used a foam tree from the floral section of a craft store.  All you have to do is then is put a thin ring of hot glue around the pointy end of your lil ornament and then stick it into the foam.  The glue will hold it in pretty good.  I started from the bottom and went around until I got to the top.  DSC07047

I was going to do it all silver but I ended up having too few lil ornaments to do a full silver tree – it will take between 4-5 packages of ornaments.  So I added in the little touches of red.  In retrospect – this looks WAY better!! 

So what do you think?  Did you pick up any of those little ornaments?  If so – what did you make out of them??  I have another project that I used them in that I will also share with you guys later this week! 

Linking this to

Made it for Monday with Cindy @ Cottage Instincts
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays with Linda @ Coastal Charm
Boardwalk Bragfest with Jan @ Bobbypins Boardwalk

Creative Christmas Countdown with Rachel @ Rachel Cotterill

Make it Yours Day with Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden
Also linking this up to The CSI Project’s Handmade Holidays Challenge

Visit thecsiproject.com

25 frugal friends said ...

Unknown said... @ December 6, 2010 at 6:33 AM

This looks great! I want to make one now

Karen said... @ December 6, 2010 at 6:57 AM

It looks beautiful Jess. I agree, the all silver tree would be pretty, but the addition of the red ornaments makes it really special.

Erin said... @ December 6, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Love it Jess, it's Buckeye colors, lol!!!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said... @ December 6, 2010 at 8:10 AM

I wanted one of these trees but they were too expensive! Now I can make one! I am bookmarking this to make after Christmas when everything is on clearance!! Thank you for sharing!

Sarah @ ImSimplySarah said... @ December 6, 2010 at 8:29 AM

I'm visiting from Cottage Instincts. I think your little tree looks fab! I picked up a bunch of those little ornaments too from Target. I've been debating on what to do with them. It will either be something like this or a Charlie Brown type tree for my kitchen. Thanks for Sharing!

Melissa Moore said... @ December 6, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Oh I love it!!! So simple and pretty...Oh how I love Christmas!!

Erin @ Domestic Adventure said... @ December 6, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Love this, especially because you only have to do it once and then you have it year after year! Something like this never goes out of style.

René said... @ December 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Your tree looks great Jess!

-Rene

Thrifty Decor Chick said... @ December 6, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Love this!! I put it on my Facebook page -- too cute!

Anonymous said... @ December 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Very cute! Love this idea!

Heather said... @ December 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I love this idea! In fact, I think I'll make a Hob Lob trip tonight for supplies so I can make my own! For the tree, how many tubes of ornaments did it take to cover the form? I want to make sure I get enough!

Anonymous said... @ December 7, 2010 at 6:00 PM

And it is the perfect adornment to your "NOEL", which I am totally loving! You are amazing, Jess! Thank you so much for sharing another one of your amazing creations on the Boardwalk Bragfest!

Unknown said... @ December 8, 2010 at 5:51 AM

I love the dollar store ornaments, too! Use them all the time. Love your little tree. Looks perfect there.

Cara said... @ December 8, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Love your ornament ball tree! It would go perfectly with the ornament ball wreath I just created. You even used the same colors as me! :) Adding this to my list of Christmas crafts for next year...as soon as I can find more silver and red ornaments.

The Single Nester said... @ December 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM

The tree looks great! I never find the forms at my local Dollar Tree and they are so expensive at Michaels and JoAnns, especially without a coupon.

Throw Open the Windows said... @ December 8, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Super cute!!! Thanks for sharing this.
Rebecca (visiting from The CSI Project)

michelle@somedaycrafts said... @ December 12, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Love this. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

Rachel Cotterill said... @ December 12, 2010 at 4:05 AM

I think the red works perfectly :)

deb said... @ December 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Really pretty!! Easy too ;)
*hugs*deb

L.A. said... @ December 16, 2010 at 3:21 PM

So funny-I bought those same ornaments for my mini tree on my mantle. But I made a similar beaded tree. Check it out here http://westcoastleslie.blogspot.com/2010/11/beaded-christmas-trees.html Pictures of my tree with Target ornaments are there too!

Crystal said... @ December 17, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I tried doing this yesterday but unfortunately my glue wouldn't hold the ornaments on. I was using a white styrofoam tree from Dollar Tree and just super glue so maybe that's why. :( I might have to invest in a glue gun and try getting the green styrofoam from wal-mart.

Mike and Katrina @HA said... @ December 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Love it! I'm hoping to make a bunch of DIY trees for next Christmas so now I'm adding yours to the list. This year I did use some old and new mini ornaments in decorating. We put some in a shadow box frame, hung some from a wire tree, put a few in a star dish, and hung some on a small tree in the foyer.

Katrina

Anonymous said... @ April 5, 2011 at 8:42 AM

I used my minis on the tips of some bare branches I've been keeping for a couple of years. If they are kept bare, you can reuse them multiple times in so many different ways!!

Unknown said... @ October 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM

So glad I found your ornament on Pinterest! I tried it with my residents (who are all over 85) and we had a great time! Check it out... http://sandsunglassesandsunscreen.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said... @ November 18, 2022 at 10:16 AM

Do you have to use hot glue?

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails