Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Hello!!!  Sorry for the prolonged absence.  Traveling and the lack of wireless internet will do that to a girl.  Did you guys miss me?  I had a fantastic time away with family and Christmas was a blast! 

But now that I am back – I wanted to get in on Rhoda’s Top Projects of 2010 party and do a nice recap on the best posts from this past year.  These posts were either my most popular or my proudest moments!  I hope you enjoy the trip down memory lane!

January started us out with me on an organizing kick, so I wrote my post on how to be successful at organizing.  I don’t know about you but the New Year always makes me want to clean out and organize! 

Photo via Martha Stewart

February had me thinking about Valentine’s Day … my hubby is the romantic sweet one.  I am the girl that buys a card with a talking cat.  So this year I decided to do something cute and created an apartment friendly art installation with the words to some of the key songs from our wedding on some basic card stock.  I love this project and I love what it means too!

March brought me one of my best ideas of the year.  When Lindsay from Living with Lindsay had her annual $5 Challenge party – it really got me thinking.  What could I do that would give me big impact but not cost anymore than $5 from the Dollar Store?  What I came up with was my Bird Silhouette plates.  These cost me just $5 and I used black card stock and a little Mod Podge to pull it off!  Oh and I won the contest!!  That was a pretty big deal for me!

April had us all moved into our new place and out of the tiny one bedroom apartment.  It also brought me to my first big furniture make over project when I revamped the free dinette set I got from a friend.

Inspired by so many of your handy skills and fueled on by a new garage workspace – I took on my biggest project yet in May.  I transformed my “world’s smallest patio ever” into my new patio book nook!  Complete with lattice planter boxes that I built from scratch myself!  I love how these came out and I am so proud that I nailed and sawed and screwed these all together myself! 

June (well the very day before June so close enough) I revamped this shelf that I got for $1 at a yard sale.  A dollar!!  I love this thing!  Goes perfect with my revamped sewing desk too!

July brought on more yard sale hopping and transformations.  I can’t wait to start all over again this spring!  One of the biggest questions I get from friends and family is “How can you look at that and see something more?”  Personally – I think that all just comes from getting to see all the great ideas that all of you people have!  But to illustrate how you can look at one thing and find several projects I did my Six Ways to Transform a Yard Sale Mirror post.  What would you turn this steal into?  Check out my post for some great ideas.

August brought more black and white into my craft area with a redo of a spice rack into some snazzy bead storage!  For $3 – I thought it was a perfect addition and provides some much needed storage! 

September made me yearn for crisper weather (what was I thinking – I want the warmth back now!) and also brought me the idea for my shimmery fall wreath!  I loved this project.  Spray painting silks is my new favorite idea!

In October, I wrote one of my most popular posts ever – 10 Ways to Use Mason Jars in Your Home.   It was a great collection of different ideas and inspirations!  I still have a ton of these that I want to do!  Like make one of these oil lamps for next summer! 

Photo via Raised in Cotton

At the beginning of November – I was inspired by Beckie @ Infarrantly Creative and made these decorative wall panels!  Just me and my Dremel tools!  If you are afraid of working with power tools – make your New Year’s resolution to overcome that in 2011.  You are just keeping yourself from cool projects like this one! 

 

And then as the year came to a close – I made this adorable Pottery Barn knockoff Word Art Project.  Wow!  The response to this was overwhelming and I really love how you guys loved it!  You truly knocked me on my rear. 

So that was 2010 in a nutshell – a great year and a ton of fun!  I tell you what – blogging takes up a lot of my time, but it also makes me so creative and it helps me get things done!  I have so enjoyed spending this year with you guys and hope to have more fun and make more friends next year too!  

So what about you?  Have a favorite?  Or was there another project you loved?  I would love to hear it!  And don’t forget to link up your 2010 Top Projects with Rhoda too!

29 frugal friends said ...

Mel said... @ December 29, 2010 at 7:20 AM

I missed you!

I remember your patio update well; that was the post that turned me on to your blog.

So many fabulous projects Jess! I'm looking forward to what you come up with this year.

René said... @ December 29, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Ha! I knew those were your cute little plates Jess. Great projects as always.

Happy new year!

-Rene

Amanda @ Serenity Now said... @ December 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Hi, Jess! Loved your birdie silhouette plates, and the chair redo is fabulous as well. It's fun to look back over the year, isn't it? :) I'm visiting from Rhoda's party today. Hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi. :)

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy said... @ December 29, 2010 at 8:39 AM

I definitely missed reading your posts. Glad you're back :o)

Savannah Granny said... @ December 29, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Love all your projects. I came in late in the year so many are new to me. Can't wait to see what your new year brings, Hugs, Ginger

the cape on the corner said... @ December 29, 2010 at 9:00 AM

your patio revamp is what first brought me over to your blog. i still love that, and can't wait to see what 2011 brings.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said... @ December 29, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Jess, what fun you had this year! So many cool projects. I totally love the plates you came up with & the spice bottles turned crafty is just too cute. You have some wonderful ideas, so glad we got to hang out at Blissdom & hope to see you again.

Jessica @ Decor Adventures said... @ December 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Hi Jess! Welcome back :-) How fun to see all your projects, and you always give us ideas for doing more! Now I'm off to read about revamping those mirrors!

{northern cottage} said... @ December 29, 2010 at 10:18 AM

awesome recaps...of great projects. Love those canning jar oil lamps!

www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

KimMalk said... @ December 29, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Hi Jess, It was so good to go month-by-month and take a look at all of the projects. You have a gift for transforming your thrifty finds.

Kristen said... @ December 29, 2010 at 2:50 PM

You have been busy! Your little bird plates are so sweet!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said... @ December 29, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I love all this sharing & reminiscing. You had some fabulous projects. I love the NOEL the best.

The Pleasures of Homemaking said... @ December 29, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Stopping by from the party....I'm so impressed with those planters you made! Love them! I've always wanted one to put in front of my AC unit. Fabulous projects!

Manuela

Gracefully Vintage said... @ December 29, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Always miss those bloggers who are so creative and inspirational... Glad your back and love the frames..
Good idea to start thinking now...
Karryann

Rachel Cotterill said... @ December 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM

What a great set of projects - thanks for the recap, isn't it fun to look back over the year's successes? :)

Hope you and your family had a lovely Christmas, and all the best for the new year!

The Pennington Point said... @ December 29, 2010 at 7:13 PM

You've got a lot of great ideas. I love that you do it in a budget. It's nice to find your blog. Lisa~

Making It Work Mom said... @ December 29, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Wow! You had a great year. Love all your projects- you accomplished so much this year. I would love to know what your grand total $ wise was for the year was!

fafner said... @ December 30, 2010 at 10:31 AM

This was a great recap since I joined your blog halfway through the year. You seriously do have a knack for seeing potential in garage sale finds!

Teri said... @ December 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Hi, I just started reading your blog and I absolutely LOVE it! You have such wonderful ideas! I love the spice rack/bead station idea! Fantastic! I am a new fan now!!! Thank you for sharing!

Karen said... @ December 30, 2010 at 4:21 PM

There you are! You were missed. I still love your bird plates, hands down, my favorite of all your projects this year. (But the "Noel" is a close second!)

Happy New Year!

Unknown said... @ December 31, 2010 at 7:27 AM

What a great list of ideas! Those bird plates have such an impact... I love B&W, too. (and thrify projects)

Kayla said... @ December 31, 2010 at 11:07 AM

My mom had a shelf just like your black and white one when I was a kid, only it didn't look that nice :). I wonder if she still has it, I may have to good look for it. LOVE how you've give it a new look. :)

Reginia @NotSoModern said... @ January 1, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Thank you for some great inspiration!
I am loving the Bird plates and now on the lookout for similar plates so that I can do some for my friends new house! :) :)

Happy New Year!

Reginia from theNotsomodernfamily.blogspot.com

ayon saha said... @ June 2, 2019 at 3:55 AM

We do not require our applicants to have managerial experience. However, if you would like to gain some, this position may be a perfect fit for you. The most promising applicants are invited to pass the Onboarding course, which is an educational resource for our new mentors.

if you want more just look here "source"

ayon saha said... @ July 6, 2019 at 7:28 AM

Of course, you need to add an academic writer. Other writers may not be able to work. So make sure you have a writer who is trained and experienced. Writers must be available to work around the clock.

if you want more just look here "demand assigned multiple access"

FidelGillett said... @ March 16, 2022 at 12:27 AM

Hi there, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can suggest? I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.home office chair uk

Best Services said... @ October 7, 2022 at 4:13 AM

I really liked your work. You have done with very nice and asthetic wood work. Keep this work up and share more. Now it's time to avail Hi Viz Vest for more information.

Unknown said... @ November 10, 2022 at 5:45 AM

Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is great, as well as the content!It’s time to know about this Can Dogs Eat Spam for more details.

Unknown said... @ November 10, 2022 at 5:56 AM

great post thanks for sharing it keep it up, It’s time to know about this Can Dogs Eat Spam for more details.

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails