Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Whew – what a weekend!  I am exhausted!!  I wanted to hop on the computer several times while the family was here but I was either cooking, talking, catching up or shopping.  So my apologies for not getting to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving on the day proper!  I hope everyone had a great time with family and friends.  And I know I have a ton of you who left comments last week that I need to stop by and see!  I am on my way!!

Now that we are officially past Thanksgiving – I am going to start posting some Holiday ideas and crafts.  I just can’t bring myself to do it until after the turkey has been served.  I drug out all my Christmas decor this weekend and have most of it up!  I also worked on some holiday crafts – one of which I would like to share with you today!  If your like me, you like to flip through your favorite decorating catalogs to get ideas or drool over the things that are perfect but soooo expensive.  One of my favorites to do this with is Pottery Barn.  So this year – when I got my first catalog – I was flipping through and saw this beauty.

   Photo via Pottery Barn

Now – their version was made from metal and cost $149.  It is no longer available for purchase – so they must have sold out.  Even at that price.  I took one look at this and thought – I can do that!  And I did.  For $8.  Here is how!

For starters – I picked up some chip board letters from Hobby Lobby for $1.99 a piece.  I laid them out in the design that I wanted.

DSC07045

Next I flipped them over and used some old scrap pieces of thin wood to glue the letters together at the places where they met.

DSC07051

Once that was dried and felt secure – I flipped it back over.  Originally, my plan was to spray paint it ORB but it was too cold today to do that.  So instead I pulled out my bottle of Raw Umber acrylic paint.  Gave it the perfect finish.

DSC07053

So here it is up on my faux mantel!  I love how it turned out!  Just as beautiful as the catalog version and at 95% off the cost!

DSC07055

Don’t you just love it?  Here is another close up!

DSC07059

I will show you the rest of my holiday mantel tomorrow!  Hope your excited to see it! 

What about you?  Planning any catalog knockoffs this season?  Think you might try this one out? I wanna know!

Linking this to

Metamorphosis Monday with Susan from Between Naps on the Porch
Boardwalk Bragfest with Jan from Bobbypins Boardwalk
Get Your Craft On with Kim from Today’s Creative Blog

 

And I am linking this up for the CSI Projects Painted Christmas Challenge!

Visit thecsiproject.com

87 frugal friends said ...

Kim@Chattafabulous said... @ November 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM

That is amazing! Love it!!

Cachic said... @ November 28, 2010 at 7:52 PM

This is wonderful! Very smart- I wish I had a Hobby Lobby nearby as I would be out the door the minute I hit Post Comment.

Meg said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I do love it! I'm totally copying this idea! What a wonderful solution to something so pretty. Great job!

Mel said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Ahhh, very clever of you. It's fantastic!

Ashley said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Great idea! Looks amazing!

Tres French Hens said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Super cute! I might have to borrow this idea!

arminda said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I absolutely LOVE this!! :) Definitely gonna give this a try!

tabitha said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Very clever! Thanks for sharing. I may have to copy this. Love it!

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Isn't it exciting to start Christmas decorating. I definitely started when we got home from our meal with my parents on Thanksgiving day :o) I love you "knock-off" even better than Pottery Barns. I love their stuff too, for inspiration. Great job and thanks for sharing!

Melody pugh said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Love it! And with Hobby Lobby a mere 20 minutes away, will definitely be using this idea!

the cape on the corner said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM

perfect! and spot on! also, it reminds me of the LOVE sculpture in philly, so i love it even more!

Megandvd@Beauty in the Attempt said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM

This is brilliant! I LOVE a Pb knockoff....and yours about knocked me unconscious. Love it!

Melody Pugh said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I wamy to knock off those PB candles wrapped in sheet music. Will have to pull out my stash of vintage ephemera.

Wendy said... @ November 28, 2010 at 8:59 PM

It's WONDERFUL! I just came over from Censational Girl, and I'm definitely coming back. :)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said... @ November 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM

CUTENESS!!! Love it.

spongeflowers said... @ November 28, 2010 at 9:13 PM

i got here via Centsational Girl... and i'm going to "knock-off" this one, too! lovely! =)

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said... @ November 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Great stuff! I love it! It looks great. :)

Beth@The Stories of A2Z said... @ November 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Totally cute!

Chris said... @ November 28, 2010 at 9:31 PM

That is brilliant! I am heading to the craft store tomorrow for sure!!! :o)

Tys said... @ November 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Totally awesome, and totally easy! Kudos!

Karen said... @ November 28, 2010 at 10:37 PM

That is great! Love your site! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!

Deanne said... @ November 29, 2010 at 2:31 AM

That is so cool and even better for people in Australia, like me, that can't even buy from Pottery Barn anyway!

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said... @ November 29, 2010 at 5:06 AM

You're fantastic! The best and cheapest knock-off I've ever seen!!! Love love Love it!

I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

Kristi said... @ November 29, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Oh, wow! These are awesome! I saw these in the catalog too and thought, no way I'm paying that much. You really did a phenomenal job on this and I think I'll be heading out to HL today to pick up my own letters.

I'd love it if you'd come over and link this up to Favorite Things Friday.

http://thespeckleddog.blogspot.com/search/label/Favorite%20Things%20Friday

~ The Speckled Dog

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said... @ November 29, 2010 at 6:57 AM

This has to be one of my favorite of your projects. It turned out amazing!

Tammy@ Not Just Paper and Glue said... @ November 29, 2010 at 7:51 AM

WOW! I absolutely love this! I have seen those letter so many times and never once thought about attaching them together. This is fabulous!

Atticmag said... @ November 29, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Jess, your sign is terrific. I really love what you did with it. A keeper for sure. Glad you stopped by. Jane

Julie B said... @ November 29, 2010 at 8:31 AM

OMG! This is so cute! I am making one TODAY! Thanks for making me feel productive and festive :)

Lettered Cottage said... @ November 29, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Absolutely AWESOME!!!!

:-)
Layla

Jessica @ Decor Adventures said... @ November 29, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Oh my gosh I started making this last night!

I'll have to show to you when I'm done :-)

Looks perfect!

pk @ Room Remix said... @ November 29, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I turned out perfect and I can't believe how inexpensive it was! Excellent knock-off!

Michelle C. said... @ November 29, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I love this and will also copy your idea for our home!

That being said and just a technicality... I think your version was 5% of the cost of PB's version. ;)

Jules said... @ November 29, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Love it! The first letter of each of my kids names start with NOEL (Nicholas, Olivia, Elizabeth, Lauren) so we have a lot of wall hangings and frames and stuff with NOEL on them. Will have to make this with them.

The Cottage Chick said... @ November 29, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I love this! I looked at that NOEL sign on PB and wondered how to make it! Now you did it. I am inspired to try my own. Thanks for sharing.

Denise

carol said... @ November 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM

i saw this in the catalog and immediately went to hobby lobby for the letters but all i could find at the time were the standard gold letters which i love but gold is really not us. going back today to see about the ones you used but i am curious....what is ORB paint?? i didn't see anyone else ask so i am sure i am going to feel so silly when you tell me what it is, but for the life of me, i can't figure it out. thanks for the tutorial because we couldn't figure out how to get them to stay together without being on a board of some kind and that kind of ruined the look.

Jennifer said... @ November 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM

GENIUS!! seriously! what a great flipping idea!!! i might need to do this with a few different word combos b/c i am in looove!

thanks for sharing your amazingness! =)

xoXOxo
Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons

{ MELBOURNE ROAD } said... @ November 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM

that turned out SO CUTE!
when I first saw it I thought you used some sort of saw or something...just wooden pre-cut letters! so nice :o)
My kind of project
Lori

Shell said... @ November 29, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Saw this on Anna White's FB page & thought for sure you did this with a jigsaw. Boy was I glad to know it was done so quick & easy & no power tools involved lol. What size are the letters? I only have HL online. Thanks

Melinda J said... @ November 29, 2010 at 11:59 AM

This is great!!! Thanks for the idea! I hope you'll let me correct your small typo... It should be 95% "off" the cost. :)

Jenna @ SAS Interiors - Simple. Affordable. Stylish. said... @ November 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Great Idea! Love, Love, Love it!!!
I saw this on Centsational Girl & Anna White...after that, I knew I had to visit your site and now I'm your newest follower. Check out my design and decor site, www.sasinteriors.blogspot.com and become a follower too! THX!!!

~Jenna, SAS Interiors

Tina @ Squirrel Acorns said... @ November 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Love this! I haven't started to decorate for the holidays yet because we've been out of town but I'm so excited to get started. (I need to unpack first.) I hope I can find these letters at my AC Moore or Michaels since we don't have a Hobby Lobby.

glitter girl said... @ November 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I am SO making this! I love, love, love it!

Amber@ClassicHousewife said... @ November 29, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I LOVE that! I am definitely going to be making my own Christmas word out now. =)

Hey, do you think you can copycat one of these word shelves? =D http://www.pgrahamdunn.com/shelves/

fafner said... @ November 29, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Looks great! My Christmas decorations are usually sorta tacky santa stuff--but maybe I'll class it up a little this year!

Anonymous said... @ November 29, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I want to do the ball tree! How do you do that?

All In The Family said... @ November 29, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Oh my! I just thought about doing this last week when I saw PB's version. I thought, "I could do this!" Thanks for posting this!! Looks great!

Miss Char said... @ November 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Thanks for the great idea, I'm going down to HL right now and pick up the letters. You just made my day!

Rene said... @ November 29, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Just chiming in with everyone else to say - how very clever of you!! Love it.

-Rene

Kat said... @ November 29, 2010 at 1:53 PM

This is great! It looks better than the PB one! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said... @ November 29, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Nice!!! I think I deserve a trip to Hobby Lobby!

DANA said... @ November 29, 2010 at 4:03 PM

What a great post! I would love for you to link this up to my linky party! http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/link-up-giveaway-and-winner.html

millie{passiondecor} said... @ November 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM

So smart idea,and easy to make....Love.IT :)

Milijana

Tricia Hicks said... @ November 29, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Too funny! I made the exact same thing using the exact same letters from HB. I painted mine a blueish color and made a hanger from twine. It's hanging on my front door! I wish I had time to blog about it!

MessyMissy said... @ November 29, 2010 at 10:37 PM

You have got to be joking that they charged that much for it!! I bet they weren't selling anymore because no one would shell out the moolah for one. I hope anyway!! Not when we have such thrifty crafters like you to show us how to do it on the cheap!!

Danielle said... @ November 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM

This is AMAZING!! Found your site via Ana White's FB page and I am in awe!

For those of you that don't have a Hobby Lobby close, you can order the letters online as well. The shipping is only $2.95 (No minimum order) and there's a code for 40% off one item. I ordered letters for the Noel, also those to spell Joy, another set of Noel letters for my friend (who saw the post as well) along with a 16 oz. bottle of acrylic paint....all for $28 bucks!

Thank you for the share, I can't wait until the letters get here!

Garden Girl said... @ November 30, 2010 at 12:05 AM

I came from Between Naps On the Porch.

Fabulous! That is really cool! Well done! You could to a LOVE one like the stamp from the 70's for Valentine's Day.

Love Stamp: http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/artofthestamp/subpage%20table%20images/artwork/love/1973%20Love/love1973.htm

NYCLQ said... @ November 30, 2010 at 3:04 AM

Well done and LOVE it!!
You're lucky to have Hobby Lobby who had this letter font ready to go! (No H.L. down here in S. FL)

Merry Christmas!
:D Lynda

Katie said... @ November 30, 2010 at 6:57 AM

very cute and well done!

Jennifer @ Muse Lodge said... @ November 30, 2010 at 7:09 AM

I may have to try this. I've had these wooden letters for NOEL that I haven't done anything with yet. Thanks for the inspiration!

Amy Meyer said... @ November 30, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I LOVE that! It totally goes on my list of things to do! Thanks for sharing!

Angie said... @ November 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I love it. Great minds think alike. I actually did the same thing with letters fromn JoAnn's. I think your letters are more the PB style, and smaller so you can fit it anywhere. I may head to HL to get some of those for elsewhere in the house.

You can check out my PB NOEL sign here:
http://cowtownkc.blogspot.com/2010/11/pottery-barn-knock-off-noel-sign.html

Amanda said... @ November 30, 2010 at 10:52 AM

I walked by the letters at HL and thought of this project. I just love it. You did a great job -- hopefully mine looks as good as yours!!

I featured you today on my blog - today's top twenty!

Amanda
todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

Sanditerese said... @ November 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I loved the NOEL in Pottery Barn too! Yours turned out great. I can't wait to make them.

BigBearswife said... @ November 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Great project!! i'll have to give this a try!

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said... @ November 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM

This is fabulous, and apparently the rest of Blogworld agrees with me becuase I think that everyone has left you a comment (haha). What a great project. You outdid yourself, Jess! IT LOOKS LIKE METAL! Amazing. Thank you for sharing this on the Boardwalk Bragfest!

Amanda Dale said... @ November 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Great job! Can't wait to try it out!
Thanks for sharing!
www.theivycottageblog.blogspot.com
-Amanda

Shell said... @ December 1, 2010 at 7:32 AM

Thanks so much for answering my question. Yay they do have them online but they're wood & not chipboard like I was searching for lol Thanks again.

Carmie of the Single Nester said... @ December 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM

This looks great! I am jealous I didn't think of it myself!!

bj said... @ December 2, 2010 at 6:32 PM

You can bet your last dollar that I am going STRAIGHT to Hobby L. to get these letters (IF they still have any left) and do this.
You did GREAT..I can't wait to try it and if it turns out half good, you'll see it on my blog soon. :))
Thanks so much!

Anne at Oh My Yes! said... @ December 3, 2010 at 11:09 AM

LOVE it! Clever girl!

Erin@likegrandmas said... @ December 4, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Looks terrific Jess!!! I love that you showed us simple and cheap for an expensive piece!

Jamie said... @ December 6, 2010 at 5:10 PM

LOVE this! I went to HL last week trying to make the exact same thing, and wouldn't you know, they were out of the O and the L. Me, being too impatient to wait (and almost a little too cheap to want to pay 2 bucks a letter...I know) I picked up a piece of foam board for a buck and cut the letters out of that, painted them, glued together and tada! PB for $148 (plus shipping) less than the rest of those suckers paid! ;)

Becca said... @ December 7, 2010 at 6:48 AM

Love this! *Becca*

jennibell said... @ December 7, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Love it!!!!!!!!

LouAnn said... @ December 8, 2010 at 8:55 AM

I'm heading out to HL today - hope they have these letters at my store!

Danielle said... @ December 9, 2010 at 12:36 AM

I finished mine up yesterday and finally wrote about it tonight.

I liked my post back to you of course!!

Thanks again! :-)

http://www.organizationalhysteria.com/2010/12/think-happy-thoughts.html

Nicole said... @ December 9, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I just bought my supplies today to make this project! I couldn't find letters as plain as yours (only boxy ones or swirly ones) so I went with the swirly. Hope it turns out!

Amanda said... @ December 9, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Just dropping by to let you know that I linked to this post in a round up today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) This will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-noel-and-joy-projects/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Tiffany said... @ December 10, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I love Hobby Lobby chip board letters!! They're the best! Great job with the NOEL! Looks fabulous. Found you through TDC - YEA!

michelle@somedaycrafts said... @ December 12, 2010 at 2:17 AM

This looks so much easier than I thought I would. So cute. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Penny said... @ December 15, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Thank you for this brilliant idea! It's one of the *facepalm* why didn't I think of that moments. Here's mine: http://prizedpixels.blogspot.com/2010/12/blog-post.html

Liz Marie said... @ December 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM

This is really cool!! Good job! I want to do this in like an antiqued white. Love it!

DailyRX said... @ December 22, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Love this! Had to blog about it. Thanks for sharing!

L.A. said... @ January 8, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Hey Jess! Feel free to check out my version...since it's after Christmas I made a slight change! Hope you like it!
http://westcoastleslie.blogspot.com/2011/01/happy-new-year.html

Happy New Year!

PlumbArena Spares said... @ March 22, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Art prints are reproductions of an original work of art like paintings made by a photomechanical process. Art prints capture the rich and vibrant colors of original artwork. Unlike posters, art prints are made using special heavier print stock that is mainly intended for prints.

Anonymous said... @ May 19, 2013 at 5:26 AM

Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back sometime soon. I want to encourage you to continue your great job, have a nice holiday weekend!

Here is my web-site - Visit here

Anonymous said... @ June 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Quality content is the important to invite the users to pay a quick visit the web page, that's what this web page is providing.

Also visit my blog post: Quantrim reviews

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.

Related Posts with Thumbnails