Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

This weekend – we went back home to have an early Thanksgiving with the Hubby’s family.  Saturday AM my brilliantly craft mother-in-law Lynn said “Jess – remember that one centerpiece with the gilded fruit you showed.  I want to do that.  Can you help?”  Of course she was talking about this beautiful centerpiece from Martha that I featured in my Setting A Harvest Table post.  It has pears, magnolia leaves and cedar boughs.  The pears are gilded and the magnolia leaves have been sprayed gold.  Just beautiful and a a great choice!

She already had picked up pomegranates, pears and edible cake glitter.  You can find the edible glitter in the Cake Decorating section of most craft stores.  Luckily, she also has a great big ol cedar tree out in the yard that we clipped some boughs off of – but we didn’t have any Magnolia leaves.  So instead – I clipped off some pretty ivy leaves off of her trellis.  Here are all the supplies we used below.

DSC06827 

The cake glitter was super easy to work with – you just put it in a bowl and brush it on dry with a paint brush. 

DSC06833

I brushed it on all the fruit and then also put it on the ivy leaves.  Once I got it all arranged in the wood trough Lynn had – I went back over the tops of the fruit with a little more of the glitter.  There now it is perfect.

DSC06835 

So here it is on the table.  I just love how it turned out – so elegant but super easy. 

DSC06851 

Everyone kept walking in and watching me put it together and saying, “Well – that was simple!”  Only took about 10 minutes.  So if you are looking for a quick easy centerpiece – this one is a piece of cake.

DSC06850

So what do you think?  Have you ever done anything similar?  Do you think you might try this out?  I would love to know if you think you will!  

P.S. Don’t forget to hop over and enter my giveaway for a $45 CSN Stores gift card!

Linking this up to

Metamorphosis Monday with Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
Table Top Tuesday with Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life 
Get Your Craft On with Kim @ Today’s Creative Blog
Make it Yours Day with Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden
Show and Tell with Becca @ Blue Cricket Designs
Tablescape Thursday with Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
Transformation Thursday with Gina @ Shabby Chic Cottage 
Weekend Wrap Up Party with Jen @ Tatertots and Jello 

25 frugal friends said ...

Patti's Artful Design said... @ November 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I have never tried this product before, but the results are wonderful! Thank you for the holiday tip.....I will be trying this!

Megan // Honey We're Home said... @ November 14, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I really like that! Always nice to add a little bling to the holiday table!

jen @ {decor junkie} said... @ November 15, 2010 at 1:15 AM

What a quick little change that makes a world of difference! I will definitely have to try this out too! Love how simple and subtle it is.

Anonymous said... @ November 15, 2010 at 2:30 AM

Beautiful, I lake it!!!

Lynn said... @ November 15, 2010 at 5:48 AM

It turned out very pretty, a perfect centerpiece!

Erin said... @ November 15, 2010 at 7:36 AM

I do love it and appreciate you showing it!

Unknown said... @ November 15, 2010 at 8:09 AM

This is gorgeous. You know, I have used the glitter before in icing but never thought about using it to brush on fruit. This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing ;)

Farah said... @ November 15, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Its very lovely Jess... so colourful that can be beauty enhancer on your table... different from normal flower arrangements...
Take a look at my cookies at
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Hope you will like it
Love
Farah

Unknown said... @ November 15, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Oh, I love it! I haven't tried edible glitter yet. I've always used rub 'n buff, but I like keeping the fruit edible! And ivy! Great idea.

Karen said... @ November 15, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Quick projects with big impact are my favorite. Keep them coming!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said... @ November 15, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Oh what a super idea. It looks fabulous. Hugs, Marty

fafner said... @ November 15, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Just beautiful! And I had no idea there was such a thing as edible glitter. That's amazing!

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said... @ November 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM

This is a wonderful idea - I think I will try it for my Thanksgivning table!
Susan,
http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
Party and Entertaining Inspiration

Making It Work Mom said... @ November 16, 2010 at 8:19 PM

OMG! I love it, but I don't know if I could pulll it off. For some reason those "easy" things somehow go "bad"on me. You did a wonderful job.

DANA said... @ November 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM

That is awesome! I would love for you to come link up at the Strut your Stuff Party!
http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/strut-your-stuff-link-party-and.html

Jodi Nelson said... @ November 17, 2010 at 3:38 PM

What a wonderful centerpiece. Thanks for showing how. Visiting from Blue Cricket. Happy to have found your blog.

Lori said... @ November 18, 2010 at 6:03 AM

Great with the wooden box. I'm going to look for the glitter, Michaels?

Marigene said... @ November 18, 2010 at 7:31 AM

What a nice simple little detail to add to a centerpiece. Thank you for sharing. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Barbara said... @ November 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM

How pretty! I love using natural elements on the table and this just adds a special touch.

Pam Kessler said... @ November 18, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Oh, I love this idea. Had no idea they made edible glitter. I cam over from BNOTP, but I'll hang around and see what other ides I can find here.

Decor To Adore said... @ November 18, 2010 at 6:09 PM

What an absolutely perfect centerpiece you have created just in time for the holidays. I just love all of the different textures. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Amy@HomeRemediesRX said... @ November 18, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I love this project! I had no idea that glitter came in an edible version...as if I didn't love it enough already! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm glad I was able to find yours in return...it's lovely...I can tell that I will be spending a lot of time here...

Unknown said... @ November 18, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Jess, I am your newest follower! I lub your blog... how fun and this idear is devine. I'd love to have you follow me and check out my progress specially in the basement remodeling and living room. I'm in need of suggestions, tips and encouragement! =)
www.bargaincornerdesigns.blogspot.com

Alycia Nichols said... @ November 19, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I like frugal and I like flourish. Great tutorial!

Entertaining Women said... @ November 21, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Edible cake glitter...I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and find some...what a great idea! Thank you for sharing your centerpiece with us. Cherry Kay

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails