Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

One of my favorite online tools is Polyvore.  What is Polyvore?  Polyvore is an online fashion and interior design site that allows you to make digital style clipboards.  It is the online version of a treasured idea board – your probably more familiar with the traditional version below with a cork board and push pins.

sfgirlbybay eclectic home office

 

What Polyvore lets you do is clip ideas like these straight off of websites and collect them in your own virtual clipboard like this.

 

It is super simple to use.  First – you sign up for an account with Polyvore.  Next – you install the Polyvore clipper to your browser.  You can follow the detailed instructions on Polyvore’s site.  Once you have the clipper installed you will see it on your tool bar on your browser.  See example below. 

untitled

Ok – once you have the clipper installed all you have to do is find a piece you love and then click on your new tool bar button.  When you do – a little grey box will pop up and then any picture you hover over will get a little green box around it.   Just like in the picture below.

Fullscreen capture 11172010 75641 PM

Once you click on the picture – another box will pop up that will let you change any of the details about the item that Polyvore will auto-populate for you. 

Fullscreen capture 11172010 80750 PM

Then you can go back to Polyvore and add that new item from your items into a new “set”.

Fullscreen capture 11172010 81003 PM

You can keep adding other items from your items or other people’s items!  All you have to do is go to “All Items” to see everything and be able to sort.  You can also resize, flip and change the background on items.

Fullscreen capture 11172010 81606 PM

Once you have your set completed you can “publish” it and share it with the world.  You have the option to share on Facebook, Twitter or embed on your blog.   I like embedding the code into my blog!  You can just copy the HTML right into your editor.

So that is your little tutorial on how to use Polyvore.  Now that you know how – I would also like to invite each and every one of you to participate Mood Board Monday this upcoming Monday (11/22) at Pewter + Sage.  Sarah hosts this little shindig and it is a blast!  I have gotten some of my best ideas there.  What you need to do if you want to participate is just hop over and look at the inspiration pictures for this month’s party!  Then come up with your own Mood Board and link it up on Monday! 

So what do you think?  Will you use Polyvore?  Want to participate in Mood Board Monday?  Lemme know! 

16 frugal friends said ...

Anonymous said... @ November 17, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Yes, and Probably! You are always so knowledgeable about the coolest stuff! I would be interested in a few mood board parties! Love this site.

Erin said... @ November 17, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I will lurk, but I am not that savvy, you know that! Sad, but true. At least I know where to go to learn, and I can send others your way:)

Kate Campbell said... @ November 17, 2010 at 10:51 PM

This looks awesome. Thanks for sharing that, Jess.

sabriena said... @ November 18, 2010 at 12:07 AM

That actually looks like a ton of fun! Thanks for sharing! I might even participate in Mood Board Monday!

Anonymous said... @ November 18, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Very interesting and nice post!

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy said... @ November 18, 2010 at 5:12 AM

Very cool. Thanks for sharing :o)

Unknown said... @ November 18, 2010 at 5:54 AM

This looks really interesting, especially when I am trying to gather craft ideas :)

Beth @ Living James 2 said... @ November 18, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I never thought of doing this with decorating, but I did use something similar for planning my wedding. Hmmm...I'm trying to put together a ladybug themed bedroom for my daughter, so I think I'll give this a try.

Karen said... @ November 18, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I'm so glad you shared this. I didn't know how to add my own things. I always just made mood boards using what I could find there.

fafner said... @ November 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I just found one more reason to online shop at work! This should be fun!

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said... @ November 18, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I'm so glad you did this tutorial. I totally couldn't figure it out on my own and gave up long ago. Ha!

Anne said... @ November 18, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Fun! I'm decorating my guest bedrooms and this is a great way to visualize, thanks! Love your blog!

Ray* said... @ November 18, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I like this! I just posted pictures of my Inspiration Board last night...a traditional cork board. Now I might just have to give this a try.

Thanks for sharing!

Debra@Dejarenew.blogspot.com said... @ November 19, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Hi Hi!!! I am your newest follower. I love the room with the blue colors up top! I am about to start working on my master bedroom and slate blue is the color I have chosen so far. I look forward to poking around your blog today and see more great ideas!
I would love for you to come join me as well.
http://dejarenew.blogspot.com
have a great day :)

Danielle Oakey Interiors said... @ November 19, 2010 at 8:45 AM

how did i not know about this site? i love it!

Sarah, Three Boys said... @ November 19, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I LOVE this! I have been doing this myself (badly) by cutting and pasting onto a word document. This is awesome!! Thanks for stopping by as well:)

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails