Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Do you guys remember my Mandevilla plants?  That was the plant I put in my lattice planter boxes.

They are so beautiful!  I actually got four of them and planted two in each box.  And they weren’t cheap!  But I fell in love with them and there was no turning back.  But since they are tropical plants they won’t weather the winter well here in TN – they actually don’t like it when it gets cooler than 40 degrees.  So I decided I was going to try to winter mine.  After reading up online – I have cut them back and have them hanging out in my garage for the winter. 

DSC06769

So my question for today is – has anyone else out there done this?  I know out of my 900 readers there have to be a least a couple of you that are gardeners!   Do you have any tips for wintering plants?  Please share if you do!  I am hoping I don’t kill them!!

11 frugal friends said ...

Tru said... @ November 3, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I don't have Mandevilla, but I bring in my tropical Hibiscus for the winter. They get yellow and not very good looking, but when I put them out again in late spring, they perk up and look good for the summer.

Terri said... @ November 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM

I live down in south Louisiana where it doesn't get REALLY cold until February. There were some lovely mandevilla plants on sale for a song at Lowe's so I planted two of them in front of my newly purchase iron trellis a couple of weeks ago. I know, it's not the best time of year for planting but I couldn't resist them. After I got home, I read that they are not cold tolerant and that I should winterize them as you have done. Shucks! I'm planning to leave them outdoors and cover them when it gets really cold and possible put a light on them. Cross your fingers!

TexNan said... @ November 4, 2010 at 6:57 AM

I live outside Austin, which is possibly near the same latitude as Terri. Many of my plants I put in a greenhouse but some, such as my ponytail palm and tropical hibiscus, I simply cover. Last year, it got so cold here the hibiscus died, even covered, and the palm lost all its leaves. (The latter came back.) This year I'm planning to do as Terri thought she might: put an electric light under the covers.

I'm thinking your garage solution should work well. Just remember to water, and if you should have a nice warm day during the winter, put them outside for the sunshine.

Anonymous said... @ November 4, 2010 at 7:31 AM

I live and many consider me Canada's Gardening guy...with a nickname like Frankie Flowers I have to know my stuff. Temperatures get cold, really cold here. I always suggest to bring Mandevilla indoors for winter. Before bring indoors spray with an insecticide to insure the bugs stay away. Prune overall growth by 1/3. Place in a brightly lit room and reduce watering. Often your mandevilla will drop some foliage as it adjust to indoor light levels. Do not over water!! Mandevilla enjoy slightly drying out inbetween waterings.

Enjoy!!

Frank Ferragine aka Frankie Flowers
Breafast Televsion Toronto

Erin said... @ November 4, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Sounds like good advice, they are beautiful!

Unknown said... @ November 4, 2010 at 8:09 AM

I think bringing them in where they are at a warmer temperature will be good but will they get enough sunlight? I am not a gardener so I really don't know. I am planning on bringing some of my plants indoors this winter to see if I can save them ;)

Desi said... @ November 4, 2010 at 8:36 AM

For whatever this is worth. Mandevillas are tropical and tender, therefore, unless your garage is heated, they will not do well. You will need to take them inside, for them to survive. Water and mist as needed, nice sunny window, and don't freak out when they look meager, they may make it.

fafner said... @ November 4, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Luckily, you have some green thumbed commenters, because I don't think my comment will be very helpful! I'm actually mostly commenting just to say that I bought that exact plant when I first started my office job 2 years ago. Turns out they need a lot of sun and life in an office environment turns those pink flowers to brown sticks in about 3 months.

the cape on the corner said... @ November 4, 2010 at 1:17 PM

i stink at gardening. i have a black thumb.

Lisa said... @ November 4, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I bring in a lot of plants during the winter. One thing that is really helpful is a moisture sensor to tell how dry they are and if they need watering. It's a metal rod with a meter at the top. That way it's easier not to under or over water. They are about $5 or more depending where you get them. I've seen them at garden stores and big hardware stores.

Thirkellgirl said... @ November 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I don't have the patience to try to winter it over, but my next door neighbor has an incredible green thumb and she does it all the time. And we live in northern Maryland!

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails