Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Galvanize – it can either be used as a verb meaning to “stimulate and excite as if by an electric shock” or it can mean “to coat iron or steel with zinc”.  I am hoping today you will be inspired by both uses of the word because I have found some fantastic examples of ideas where people used galvanized metal to create some pretty awesome accessories and spaces! 

Create a Beautiful Centerpiece

I love this centerpiece that Michelle @ Sweet Something Designs did.  She took an old galvanized tray she found at a thrifting event!  I am never so lucky to find beautiful stuff like that!  Oh yeah – and the table it is on – she just asked the hubby to make her one and that is what he came up with.  I know … we can all be jealous of Michelle’s handyman together! 

Photo via Sweet Something Designs

Make a Decorative Accessory

How adorably brilliant is this?!  Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage took pipe strapping from the hardware store and made this adorable little decorative ball!  I love how rustic and structural it is!

Photo via The Country Chic Cottage

Create a Pretty Plate Rack

Liz @ Hoosier Homemade took an antique galvanized chicken feeder and turned it into this pretty plate rack!  Love it!  That is thinking outside the box – or feeder as it were!

Photo via Hoosier Homemade

Install a Shower Surround

That is the nice thing about galvanized metal – it is rust proof!  This shower surround is industrial and modern and was done by Catherine and Jarrett from Bungalow Bungahigh.  This was actually done in their basement bathroom – I bet all that shiny metal really did help to brighten it up in there.

Photo via Bungalow Bungahigh

Make an Industrial Table

Love this one!   And all the steps to make the table are over at Frugal Farmhouse Design.  Lisa even gives pictures of all the parts you need to do the base!  It is a great tutorial!

Photo via Frugal Farmhouse Design

Cover your Countertop

I think this looks amazing and has me seriously reconsidering any idea of going with stone for any future countertop projects.  This project was done by Lindsey @ The Pleated Poppy

Photo via The Pleated Poppy

Make a Faux Mirror

This is so beautiful!  Jenni @ Beautiful Nest created this faux mirror out of a vintage window and backed it with some galvanized sheet metal!  Gorg!

Photo via Beautiful Nest

Stencil a Planter

I love this idea!  Can’t you see this as a great way to show your house number or family name?  Amanda @ Reloved Rubbish is responsible for this little beauty.  And she has done a TON of galvanized projects!

Photo via Reloved Rubbish

So there you go!  A ton of great ideas to “galvanize” you into action this spring!  So tell me – do you love galvanized metal?  Have you ever done any projects with it?  Are you inspired to do some now?  I wanna know!

12 frugal friends said ...

Angie Holden said... @ March 24, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Thanks Jess!! I love galvanized!!! :)

Erin said... @ March 24, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Jess, I love all of these ideas...growing up on a farm, I was well acquainted with galvanized, so I am a HUGE fan. Still love it and it does take me back to the farm!

the pleated poppy said... @ March 24, 2011 at 9:52 AM

thanks for the link love! and i love the idea of using the chicken feeder as a plate holder - i have one and could never think of how to use it, but i know now!

BasilicusJones said... @ March 24, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I love the "mirror"

Karen said... @ March 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I have an old galvanized large bucket and use it in the summer as an ice bucket. It's nice for outdoor entertaining.

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said... @ March 24, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Love the topic!
And, I was hoping this would be what I expected! Yea! very find ideas. That shower and industrial table - I'd welcome them any day. And, yep, her handyman is might handy!!


Psst - Still time to enter our giveaway!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said... @ March 24, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Jess, thanks for the shout out! These are all great ideas!

Amanda@RelovedRubbish said... @ March 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Jess, thank you for featuring my bucket. I love all the galvanized ideas you have shared!

Amanda
xoxo

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said... @ March 24, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Great ideas!! I love all of them. Gets me so excited for Spring!

xoxo
Jen

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said... @ March 25, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Creative ideas!! I featured that counter, I love it! Thanks for pulling these together, so inspiring!!

Amy @ Motherhood and Miscellany said... @ March 27, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I love these ideas and I love your blog!! So creative. I gave you the Stylish Blogger Award. Check it out here:

http://motherhoodandmiscellany.blogspot.com/2011/03/stylish-blogger-award.html

- Amy

momdrinkstea said... @ March 28, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I've always loved galvanized! I get mine at farm supply and hardware stores. I use big canisters with lids inside our pantry for storing flour, oats and sugar - we just attach lettered manilla shipping labels for identifying the contents. (Pic of it on my blog, see below!) I use a BIG one outside in the winter on our back porch as an extra "freezer" during the winter - it's critter-proof! :)

-momdrinkstea
www.stackedstonefarm.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails