Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Thanks for all the well wishes and congrats on the sale of our home! It is a relief to have that part of it done and over with, but now we have the stressful job of figuring out where the rest of our "stuff" goes!  We did a good job this weekend of moving quite a bit of our excess at a yard sale.  My total for the day was $294!  Between me and my two other friends (we did a multi-family sale - which I highly recommend) we did almost $600 total.

Now we have to figure out where we are going to put everything that we decided not to sell!  See - we left our home "staged" with most of our good furniture and some odds and ends that we either didn't have space for yet in TN. At first, we had really nothing here in TN - which was fine since we were in a one bedroom apartment. However, we moved this spring into a bigger 3 bedroom, 2 bath home and got some free furniture when we moved.

One of the things we got free was this dinette set that I spray painted and reupholstered.

Now it was fine for us as a temporary solution - but man was I excited to get my "real" dining set here.  Ready to see the only somewhat "oaky" things that I actually love??

I am so glad to have it back!!  The styles of the hutch and the table don't completely match but I think they complement each other nicely.  (Side note: Our chandi does hang lower than what is pictured.  I didn't realize until I was actually writing this post that the hubby hadn't removed the zip tie he put on it to keep it from hitting the movers on the head when they were trucking stuff through!)

I am very excited that they fit the space well!  The hutch is an antique that was given to me by my grandmother. I love it - all the glass work is original to the piece and the detailing and moulding are just beautiful!  I will have to try to get a better pic of it some time for you without the dining set in front but I was a wee bit lazy today.  (Still sore from the yard sale!)

The dining set is from Ashley Furniture (Cross Island if you are curious).  I don't have too much of a tablescape going on here - but I do have my Heirloom White pitcher stuffed with some seasonal florals and my two little leaf plates out.  I will have to work on doing a real holiday tablescape here soon.  (As soon as I find what box that stuff is in!)

So there you go!  I am still deep into unpacking at the moment - boxes and boxes of stuff everywhere.  But I thought I would share with you how the home is coming together and really becoming "mine" now!  Do you feel like there are certain things that make your home "yours"?  What are they?  I want to know! 





Linking this post to

19 frugal friends said ...

Mari said... @ September 26, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I'd sure like to talk to you more about your move. We are looking into moving if this new job opportunity comes through for my man. It would mean leaving all of our kids and grandbabies here in FL and moving up to IN (where I'm originally from...but not in the same location). We'd be about 3.5 hours from family.
Not sure if we should sell the house here or rent. So I have lots of decisions, and you just went through some of that it seems.
Happy for you for sure.
It's not like we haven't moved before...in fact we've moved over 12 times. But this one seems to be the hardest on us. Could be our age (getting older) or the fact of leaving our babies. Been a tough year for sure trying to find out what God has in store for us.

If you wouldn't mind, I can email you sometime. You can email me anytime too. Thanks.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said... @ September 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Your dining table and hutch are stunning. They fit perfectly in your new house. What a blessing to get everything all in one space and really enjoy your home. Good luck with the unpacking. Hugs, Marty

Kate Riley said... @ September 26, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Lovely and warm, just like you.

xo
Kate

Erin said... @ September 26, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I like your dining set and cabinet! Let's see how long it takes you to change something about them, lol(meant as compliment). You know what makes mine mine, the Buckeye Room:) Great job on that yard sale!!

Shelle said... @ September 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Oh pretty. I'm sure it feels good to finally have your stuff back. :) I'm just so excited for you. It's like a new beginning, isn't it?

the cape on the corner said... @ September 26, 2010 at 6:46 PM

you must be thrilled to have "your" stuff there, and i do love the clean lines of that dining set. this house is the first house my b/f i have been in, and so all the things we bought feel like us, or really, me since i am the one decorating. his mom said something that struck a nerve when i was first decorating (honestly everything that woman says is like this) but she said she's surprised he likes this look. apparently she thinks that the way SHE decorates, and her daughter decorates the same way, would mean that her son would want to decorate like that. do you believe that?! he's a flippin' guy, anyway, and how many of them really have a decorating style? it gets my blood boiling just thinking about it.

Unknown said... @ September 26, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Congratulations on selling your home. I always say a little yay for people when I drive by there home with a sold sign on it. I know that can be hard for some (to get their homes sold). Enjoy the rest of your weekend. =)

Unknown said... @ September 27, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Oh, I bet you're in a little bit of heaven. We haven't found a house yet so I'm @ my Mom's and Hubs it @ his mother's. Ugh.

First thing I did is put all my bath stuff - towels, rug, few knickknacks in "my" bath. Makes it feel like mine.

And my coffee pot! Mom has a Keurig, but I drink waaay too much coffee.

It's not perfect but it's comfortable and we're grateful to have places to stay for now.

Can't wait to see the rest of your home as it comes together!

Unknown said... @ September 27, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Lovely hutch and table. Their colors are so warm.

skooter8 said... @ September 27, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I love your dining room furniture! When we move the first thing I do is set up the bookshelves and unpack all my books (I collect antique ones) and that makes it feel warm and homey. While I am unpacking and setting up I also like to buy one expensive sented soy candle I otherwise probably wouldn't and start working. I can't wait to see more pictures of your new home!! happy day.

Kim

Jen said... @ September 27, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Love the dining furniture! If there is one thing I HAVE to have..its my bed!!! Nothing says home like MY own bed!!!

fafner said... @ September 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM

That looks great! My dining room table is the only thing that I reliably move from apartment to apartment. It's a metal 50s diner sort of table with a bright yellow top. It seems to somehow match nothing and everything at the same time. Helps things feel like home

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said... @ September 28, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Your table and your hutch are both so pretty and I love how beautifully you have displayed everything in your hutch. I think that is so hard to do and yours looks wonderful. Hugs, Marty

sheila from life @ #17 said... @ September 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I especially like the stained glass center on your hutch...that is just lovely :) and unusual

Blondie's Journal said... @ September 28, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Your dining room set is gorgeous. You must be so happy to have your own things back. I'd have my bedroom done immediately! ;-D

XO,
Jane

Kara's Korner said... @ September 29, 2010 at 5:14 PM

This looks great!! My home is 'mine' based off of my living room...it's where I started my love of DIYing, and it's just gone from there...

Great job with your dining room!

Chubby Chieque said... @ September 30, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Now, your diner is soo pretty. You can invite your good friends for dinner.

Have a happy TS Day.

Greetings from chilly STOCKHOLMER,
/chie

Entertaining Women said... @ October 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM

You're making great progress, and I can tell that you have been "dancing as fast as I can" for some time. I hope that you will allow yourself a season of grace as you put your new home together. It's an overwhelming task, even if it is exciting! I always say that I do my best each and every day...it's just that on any given day, my best may not be quite as good as it was the day before or will be the day after...and that's okay! You're doing a great job putting your home together. I look forward to seeing the results as you go along...and as you have time. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Peter said... @ November 8, 2022 at 5:22 AM

This house looks so good. That dinning table is looking so amazing. Thanks for sharing this with us. I really appreciate this act. Now it's time to avail Outbound Call Center Services for more information.

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails