Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

After I thought about my Vignette-a-phobic post the other day, I decided to go rummage through my pile of stuff and see if I had anything vignette worthy. True to form, most of it you hang on the wall but then I did come up with this lil guy. I got him at a Community Yard Sale in July for $1.50.

I brought him in and set him on my side table in the living room. Did not work at all. His pale grey color was so washed out against the deeper browns, tans and blues I have going in the sofa and pillows. Well, there is a fix for that – and it is called spray paint!

So I grabbed my can of Krylon Bahama Sea Blue paint and went to town. Now when I used it on the sign for the front door it came out WAY too bright so I wasn’t sure if I would need to use my shoe polish trick to tone it down or not. I just did a really light application on it, and I think the color came out beautifully!

So here it is in the room, I love him! Sorry for the night pictures – I haven’t actually been at my house much during the day! Did I mention I am on the road again? (sigh)

Obviously, he needs something else over there to keep him company. I am thinking a small frame and perhaps a little stack of books. Maybe a small vase with flowers.

But I think the little pop of color is perfect next to my ORB lamp and goes with the other blues in there so well!

So here is my question for you guys. One – do you think he came out too dark or just right? Two, what else should we put over there with him? I am all ears!

16 frugal friends said ...

Christine said... @ September 6, 2010 at 7:55 AM

I think he is perfect the way he is, and he looks great with the lamp. I also agree that a little stack of books would be great, maybe he could sit on top of them?

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said... @ September 6, 2010 at 8:01 AM

It turned out perfect. Love it. I like the idea of a small stack of books with maybe a plant on top and a picture frame. Great color. You did good. Hugs, Marty

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said... @ September 6, 2010 at 8:33 AM

I love the color. Doesn't look too dark to me at all. I like Marty's idea of books with a photo on top. Right now I have a stack of books with one of those miniature pumpkins sitting on it for fall in my family room.

Karie said... @ September 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Absolutely beautiful. Love the color. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said... @ September 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Oh that looks fabulous! The only thing I would do would be to distress it a little on the edges. Ralph Lauren glaze, rub on and rub off as much as you want.
Dee

karen@fitnessjourney said... @ September 6, 2010 at 5:02 PM

What a pretty shade of blue.

Unknown said... @ September 6, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I love this! I am a wimp and have a hard time adding bright colors but I think this blue would be great to do in my house! Thanks for the post!

Sandra said... @ September 6, 2010 at 9:58 PM

I think it looks great! I've always heard things should be in odd number groups .. so perhaps a little something else .. to make it '3'. ;-)

Looks great!

Erin said... @ September 7, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Love the color, doesn't look at all like the sign on the door originally did??? I like your ideas on the table!

fafner said... @ September 7, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Great color! That little guy reminds me of the flame from the Statue of Liberty for some reason. Probably because they're both flames. Looks great!

KimMalk said... @ September 7, 2010 at 4:57 PM

It looks just right to me. Nice job, Jess!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said... @ September 7, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Love the blue! It came out so pretty. I do tend to work with odd numbers when doing displays so adding to it would be great.

Anonymous said... @ September 8, 2010 at 7:29 PM

awesome re-do. I love spray paint. Just found you from domestically speaking popp. great blog!

Megan Gunyan said... @ September 9, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I love the color. It's perfect. I love the idea of adding some books to the mix. I'm a huge book fan! There's so much you can do with them....paper them, antique them, stack them, use old books, etc. I love it, great job!

gail@My Repurposed Life said... @ September 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM

cute! I love the color. Great price.
hopped over from tatertots and jello.
have a great weekend!
gail

Kitty Deschanel said... @ September 12, 2010 at 5:28 AM

Isn't it fun finding a new use for something like that? If you have a free moment, I have a new weekly (I hope!) Linky on my blog called Not “Baaad” Sundays with LambAround. I’d love for you to post one of your projects :)

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails