Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

There is one time of year when, rather unwillingly, I take inventory of our family and friends. Christmas card season.


(photo by WordRidden via Flicker)

Let me just say that I do really like sending and receiving Christmas cards. And yes I know they aren’t “green” but I think it is important to let the people who you do truly care about know that you took the time to sit down and go through the manual labor of sending a card.

But they do make you put the year in perspective. As I was updating my Christmas Card list (which I keep in Excel) there were lots of positives.

People had gotten new homes, engaged, and married.

Last names of single women had to be changed and children’s names had to be added.


(photo by WordRidden via Flicker)

But at the same time, there were a lot of sadder moments.

The point at which I had to “delete” the name of my Grandmother’s husband – he passed this year and they were so in love that it made my heart break all over again.

I also had to delete several halves of couples since now they were divorced.

I had to change addresses of friends back to those of their parents as so many we love have lost jobs and have had to move back in just to make ends meet.

It kinda started to get me down. So I closed the file without saving and went back in. I then tallied my changes as I made them.

Well – a lot has been said about the year 2009 and not much of it has been good. But I can say that in my world and in my life, the positives have outweighed the negatives.

So take that mainstream media! It is not all roses but it is also not as down in the dumps as the world might suggest.

Now I am curious. Do you guys send Christmas Cards? Do you ever feel like it is like taking an inventory of family and friends? If so, how does your year rank out? (I hope it is positive!)


10 frugal friends said ...

Lisa said... @ December 4, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Hi! Stopping by from SITS. I saw the subject of the post and immediately understood. I do love sending Christmas cards as well, as a way to reconnect and let people know we're thinking of them, even if we're not in touch often throughout the year. It can be a bit sad to see some of the changes, but you're right, good things did happen this year too, even if they were small, and those are the things we should think about and cherish. It's much better for our health and wellbeing to focus on the positives and not dwell on the negatives.

Have a great weekend!

Melissa B. said... @ December 4, 2009 at 6:57 AM

It can be a downer, but only if you let it. I enjoy making my list, and checking it twice. Yes, when I have to delete someone for obvious reasons, I'm sad. But re-connecting with everyone else I love and sharing my holiday joy perks me right back up again. SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did!

Communiter Heaven: Voluptuous Afternoon View

Corrie Howe said... @ December 4, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I love the cards. Did you make them? I gave myself permission not to stress myself out with sending Christmas cards every year. So I haven't in few years. Probably won't this year either. :-)

But I do love hearing from others.

Confessions From A Work-At-Home Mom said... @ December 4, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Stopping by from SITS. Gosh, I was just having this internal dialogue with myself last night regarding this very topic. '09 has been a tough year for a lot of reasons, ones you've listed and ones you didn't. My family has been very blessed, but I know not everyone has been as lucky. I'm hoping 2010 is much brighter for everyone!

~Elizabeth
http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

Anonymous said... @ December 4, 2009 at 3:23 PM

pk @ Room Remix
I DO send Christmas cards, but haven't started yet. I keep my list in Excel too :-) I have to say not everything in 2009 has been positive, but overall I know that I am blessed, and I'm so thankful. I know there are many who are finding it hard to find things to be thankful for right now and my heart goes out to them. Have a good weekend...

MovieGuy said... @ December 4, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Well sis, I think once again you make a boring subject interesting. I used to do Christmas cards, until I found myself at a loss trying to make every one of them sound personal and heartfelt...and by then end of the process every one of them sounded exactly the same as the others...I hope none of my friends ever compared them. There were even days I thought of having a stamp made (no I'm not lazy, just easily frustrated). I found that I get more joy from buying presents to the few friends and family I will see around the holidays, rather than trying to put everyone on a card list...and that works for me. Its great that there are still people who love sending cards, and even greater that I don't have to be one of them :)

Jen said... @ December 5, 2009 at 7:00 AM

Good morning Jess,
Wow, I never thought of it that way, but, yes, it can be a little bit of a let down updating your address book! As for whether I send Christmas cards, despite the fact that it's technically an un-necessary use of paper, I think they are charming and thoughtful. I have always sent them in the past except for last year. Maybe I was too busy b/c I had just had my second child at the end of October last year! This is a great post. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest :)

Karen MEG said... @ December 5, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Hi, thanks for popping by my blog during my SIT FB day ... just getting back to the lovely commenters 9including yourself).

We usually take the opportunity to send everyone greetings from our family - to show how the kids have grown. Nothing too creative, just picture cards of them (we're getting too old and gnarly now :)). It is sad, though, relooking at your list sometimes. This year will be different as we lost our Dad early in the year.

I think greeting cards are a lost art, though, those cards are beautiful.

Finding Normal said... @ December 5, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Happy SITS Sharefest!
This year's list wasn't too bad, but I've gone through those moments of anxiety in the past when it HITS that I don't get to send a card to a loved one who's passed on. I'm sad that our card this year doesn't include a picture of our beloved doggie, who left us in April. The kids are cute and all, but it's just strange to not have him in between them!

Moore Minutes said... @ December 5, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I've never seen anything like these cards before! They are so unique and lovely. What a treat for the people that get one of those in the mail. :)

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails