Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Check out my latest Mood Board Creation!

The inspiration behind this is that Susan at Love Where You Live is hosting a fantastic giveaway! The Green Plum, a home furnishings boutique, and Susan have picked out a few of their favorite one-of-a-kind pieces, which are shown below. What they want is to see how you would use them in a room design. There is a giveaway for the top three boards.

The rules are as follows.
You have to use one of the four featured pieces that Susan and Green Plum Picked out.

One is a Victorian settee that has been re-upholstered in a blue and brown fabric ($545)


This black and white settee ($1,200)


This wingback chair in a durable denim-like blue-gray fabric ($775)


Or the pair of pierced wood chairs ($2,500).



Once you select which piece (or pieces) you want to use, you need to create an original inspiration board (I used www.polyvore.com) that shows how the featured piece could work in a room. And she wants you to be thorough! You need to include the WHOLE room – including window treatment, carpet, wall color(s), accessories, tables, etc. Everything in the room needs to be identified (which polyvore will help you do) and share a one or two-sentence design objective so we all understand your vision. You then need to send your board over to Susan via Email along with some contact info. The Deadline to enter has been extended to Dec. 11th. Get the full info at her blog here. There is also a great explanation of how to use Polyvore in her comments section if you are new to it!

Now, here is the skinny on my set. My grandmother has lots of antiques and has offered several pieces to me if I want them. The problem is that when I look at those pieces at her house, they are beautiful, but I can’t picture them in my own home. This is why I instantly fell in love with the Victorian Settee in the blue and brown fabric. The Fabric is so modern that I knew I could create a room around this piece.

Let me walk you through my imaginary setting. I have inherited a pair of these gorgeous chairs! (Hey – let a girl dream big, ok!) I would put these in a more formal sitting room/study area. I paired the two chairs with a more modern round glass coffee table to pick up on the circles in the fabric. The table also follows the tapered leg shape of the chairs. In my mind, these chairs are facing a fireplace that is flanked by two large windows. (Do you have your bearings yet in my imaginary room?) Underneath them, I have put this fabulous Grey Blue Greek Key style rug. (Which I know is probably very expensive, because it says to contact the dealer – in my my mind it was a find in the back of Goodwill. Again – it is my daydream!!) I thought this would look great in a room with dark wood floors and great molding. I picked out a slate blue paint color for the walls. The wall that is featured in my board has a console table and mirror that would reflect the fireplace into the room. Two tall candlesticks in a classic spindle shape will flank either side of the mirror. Finally, I have selected two matching bookcases to go on either side of the console. All of the other furniture in the room is from Home Decorators Outlet and the mirror is from Overstock.com. Details on my items are featured on Polyvore.







So what do you think? I love it! (After this little experiment, I think I will be more open to some of my grandmother’s pieces!)
Please let me know if you end up participating in Susan’s contest!



6 frugal friends said ...

My Galveston Cottage said... @ December 3, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Hi Jess,

This settee, upholstered in Robert Allen's blue and brown geometric print, is a special piece. It marries contemporary with yesteryear. You did a FAB presentation. Thank you! And I greatly appreciate you posting news about my blog Give Away. (I think you should go snag those pieces from your grandmother, too.) cheers, -susan

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said... @ December 3, 2009 at 10:06 PM

What a fun blog you have. I can't wait to read more.

IT-articles said... @ December 4, 2009 at 3:39 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MovieGuy said... @ December 4, 2009 at 5:37 AM

This looks like fun...as long as one isn't too bogged down in holiday planning. Congrats on having so many comments and readers sis (I have like 3 and you're the only one who ever leaves comments lol...)

I wonder who will win??

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said... @ December 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM

That b&w settee is sooooooooo beautiful!

Monica N. said... @ July 22, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Jess,
We featured one of your settee re-do's on our website and pinterest page as a comparison to items for sale in our store! Find it on www.dorchesterhabitat.org Thank you so much.

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails