Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

So a couple of weeks ago Cindy over at Cottage Instincts, started this idea of a “Made It With What I Had” party. This is what I made, the rest of this post is all about how I got there!



When Cindy announced the party, I started thinking about all the projects I have been saying I was “going” to do – the bedskirt, the pillow shams, and the myriad of other projects. Some things have been put on hold due to “the situation” (If you don’t know, we live in a tiny one bedroom while we are waiting to sell our home that is states away. Get the full details here.)

So, while I would LOVE to do a lot of different projects, there isn’t a need for all of those right now. I started thinking about some of the things I could do in my apartment so that I could be more crafty. For starters, I just got this awesome sewing table. I am using one of the chairs from my cute teak dinette that my grandmother gave me as my work chair. (The dinette itself is being used as a desk for hubby’s computer gaming set up. I would love to show you a pic of it, but I am afraid it is covered will all manner of junk and Mt. Dew cans …. Sigh.)

The problem with this chair is that to sit at my sewing table, I have to sit on a pillow that is put into an L-shape – see picture below - so that my short self doesn’t feel swallowed up by the chair and so my back doesn’t ache after sitting in it for a while.
Obviously, this not a very aesthetic solution.

So I decided to make some lovely pillows for my little chair. (Actually – I decided to make some for both chairs for whenever we can use it as a dinette again and not as a makeshift desk).

I started looking through my collection of fabric and found these two different inverse pieces of the same pattern that my mom made shirts out of probably 20+ years ago. I do not know if she still has the shirts, but I can still remember her wearing them.

I laid it out on my large cardboard cutting board, which is a necessity if you plan on working on any large amounts of fabric.
I measured for my pillow (which is a nice lumbar pillow) and decided I would do the darker of the two patterns in the middle of the pillow with the lighter patterns on either side. It is a little hard to tell the two types apart in these pictures (one is cream with a beige pattern and one is beige with a cream pattern). I measured out enough fabric to have an inch and a half overlay so I could create a sham type pillow. What was my scientific method for obtaining said measurements? I simply pretended I was wrapping a present and made a notch in the fabric to denote the length I thought was necessary.
Then I pinned the fabric down so I could sew it together.
Once sewn, you NEED to make sure that you press down the seams. I know, I hate dragging out the ironing board as much as the rest of you, but it is a must. Especially if you have a darker and lighter fabric like I do here. If that is the case, always iron the seam towards the darker fabric, so it does not show through the lighter side.
Finally, I stitched all the outside edges down and then layered the fabric with about a 1.5 inch overlay (like a sham pillow). I then sewed up the edges and voila, we have pillow! Once I had one done – it was much more comfortable and cuter to sit in my chair and sew up the other!
I do have enough leftover fabric to do a table runner of some sort when I can repossess the dinette. I might even be able to make so some cute napkin holders or other such table accompaniments.

I was considering embroidering something onto the pillows. What are your thoughts on that? Originally, since I was making this for my sewing table I was considering the word “create” – is that too specific for when I am able to reclaim my table? 


P.S. Don’t forget to enter my giveaway! Entries are accepted until midnight on 11/19! 

I am of coursed linked up with Cindy @ Cottage Instincts for the Made it with What I Had Party.

I will also be linking up with Kimba @ A Soft Place to Land for DIY Day!

14 frugal friends said ...

tinahead81 said... @ November 16, 2009 at 5:30 AM

stopping over from sits!

i love the fabric you used for the pillow...so cute!!

Michelle said... @ November 16, 2009 at 7:16 AM

Isn't it amazing how a Blog Party can light a fire under us...LOL

claire said... @ November 16, 2009 at 7:53 AM

I like the print :)

cindy said... @ November 16, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I'm thinking a monogram would be just dandy...that way you can use it anywhere. I really like the two-toned effect, and I'm a sucker for neutral fabrics from any decade :o)

Thanks for linking up!
peace.

Maria Killam said... @ November 16, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I cannot sew so I have to get my workroom to do everything. . . so great that you can!

Anonymous said... @ November 16, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Wow Jess! I really like the fabrics. I've seen pillows w/ embroidered initials, numbers, and words and frankly I love them all. Just "Follow your bliss" and embroider whatever you like on them!
:)
Zuzu

Moore Minutes said... @ November 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I'm impressed. I don't sew so these things always amaze me, lol. Very good choice in fabrics too!

The Blonde Duck said... @ November 16, 2009 at 3:14 PM

You are so creative and talented. I would have put a hat on the pillow or pouted and pitched a fit.

Elisa said... @ November 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Just found your blog through Cottage Insticts. LOVE that fabric you used.

Claudia said... @ November 16, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Lovely fabric and pillow! Embroidering something on it would be perfect!

Corrie Howe said... @ November 16, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Wow! This looks great! But you lost me at "sewing table." My grandmother and mother's sewing talent went to my brother who sews theater costumes as a hobby.

Its So Very Cheri said... @ November 17, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I need one of those.

Cheri

now following you

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said... @ November 17, 2009 at 8:59 PM

This turned out cute. I think the word "create" would be good.

Debbie said... @ November 18, 2009 at 4:46 PM

The pillow looks great as-is...love the neutral print combo. But if you want embroidery, I'm sure that would look great, too.

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails