Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

This is the third post in my Holiday Party Planning series. In the first post, I discussed how to create a Hostess Journal and in the second post I showed some great places to get your basic Dinnerware and Serving Pieces. Once I finish the inventory on my Dinnerware and Serving Pieces, I start on the Glassware and the Flatware. This section of the pantry is what really caught me off guard last Thanksgiving when I had my first 10+ dinner to plan. I had dishes and serving pieces but I was short on enough goblets and forks to get us from dinner thru dessert.

So let me share some of my favorite places to stock up on Glassware and Flatware for your holiday table!

Glassware
I love pretty glassware and stemware – but let me be perfectly honest with you. I don’t see the point in spending LOTS on something that I know I will inevitably break. I am one of the world’s clumsiest people. Reidel glassware is gorgeous! However, you are looking at a minimum of $15-20 a glass. I would rather spend that on a great sweater at TJ Maxx then on something that I KNOW I would drop and cry buckets over its demise…

So allow me to offer some equally beautiful, fun and affordable glassware.

Need goblets?



Both sets are for 12 glasses for only $21.95.

Need more glasses for a cocktail party? Perhaps Margarita Glasses?



Both of these sets are from $19.95. All of these great sets are from Crate and Barrel.  (I hope you don’t get sick of my continual obsession with the great deals that Crate and Barrel has on the basics!)

These sets at Target.com are also great basic sets.

I also recommend checking our your local dollar store to see what they offer in open stock.

And if you want to go retro – I am in love with these!  The Groove Cocktail Glass  (Swoon!) I want to sip some champagne at midnight with these bad boys! At .95 cents a piece I could stock up for quite a soiree! These are also from my dear friends at Crate and Barrel.



Flatware
I want to let you know up front that I will not be featuring any specific flatware collections in this section. The reason is that I have found that many bargain flatware sets feel flimsy and lightweight when you pick them up. And since I can’t pick up what is online, I don’t want to potentially mislead you by showing you a nice looking set that is puny! Therefore, I want to cover what I think are the things to look for in a flatware set and then give you some places where I have found affordable sets with those qualities.

First, you need to decide on what you like based on the following criteria:
  • Finish – decide on if you like a polished look or a brushed look
  • Decoration – do you want to have an embellished detail on the handle or a smooth finish
  • Width and Taper – how think do you want have the handle? Do you prefer a piece that is tapered at the top or do you want something more uniform?
Second, you need to go out and touch some flatware! Seriously – go run your fingers over some forks! Hold it in your hand and see if it speaks to you. This may sound crazy, but I am telling you there is a difference and it is literally tangible! I would go into a nice high-end wedding boutique area (I am thinking Macy’s or someplace similar) and start picking up the flatware so you can feel the weight and substance that some of the pricier options have. Then – you take that feeling and see if you can find it in something more affordable! I have found that JC Penney’s, World Market, Kohl’s, and Target normally have good affordable options. I have even persuaded a sales clerk or two at Homegoods to let me open and “feel up” some packaged flatware.

So tell me about your favorite places to get glassware and flatware.  Do you also think it important to touch your flatware? Or am I just loony? (It could be true – so I won’t immediately rule it out!)


I am linking up with Thrifty Thursdays and Leigh! 



Tomorrow, I am going to be looking at some of the extra things that may make your holiday party planning a breeze!  Don't forget to stop by!

7 frugal friends said ...

Kammy said... @ November 5, 2009 at 6:46 AM

Always have to replace glassware - those are great prices !
Kammy

Jane said... @ November 5, 2009 at 7:16 AM

Wonderful tips and links. Thanks for the information.
Jane

Karen said... @ November 5, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Great prices. Another thing to consider is to buy or make some cute wine charms for your glasses.

Kristin - The Goat said... @ November 5, 2009 at 8:35 AM

I will not buy flatware without holding it first. If it isn't balanced in my hands then I will forever be bothered by it with each bite. I bought some real cheap stuff for one of my rental condos and ended up giving it away because I didn't test it first. I just couldn't do that to my renters LOL

Kristin - The Goat

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said... @ November 5, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Great suggestions, Jess! Thanks for linking up to Tales from Bloggeritaville Thrifty Thursday.
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Corrie Howe said... @ November 5, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I totally am with you on flatware. I have to like the feel more than anything else. My mom has gotten good deals on flatware from caterers going out of business. Not really sure how she finds out about them.

KennQ said... @ November 11, 2010 at 2:21 AM

great post, I really like it. Thanks for posting. :)

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails