Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

This is the fifth and final post in my Holiday Party Planning series. In the first post, I discussed how to create a Hostess Journal and in the next posts I showed some great places to get your basic Dinnerware, Serving Pieces, Glassware, Flatware and Linens. Now that you have all the necessities we can focus on the cute ideas for finalizing your tablescape.

Centerpiece Ideas
I am going to show off some ideas here that I think are both affordable and beautiful.

I love the veggie wraps on these candles as a great way to highlight the bounty that the Thanksgiving holiday is supposed to represent. This photo is from Decorvillage and was recently highlighted on Jennifer’s Blog Tatertots and Jello. I love this as it is simple and very elegant, and you can just use whatever is leftover from fixing your meal.

As I know, Jennifer is on a Burlap trip right now (which she has gotten me obsessed with as well). I think wrapping a nice candle with a piece of burlap (about 3” inches wide) and then layering on a festive ribbon color (burgundy and gold) will be great.

On the other hand, you could do what Kelly Ohiro did here with ribbon wrapped candles.

Since we are talking wrapped candles lets also look at these great options from Epicurious. They have wrapped candles with Cinnamon for a natural look and a fantastic smell! (Also, check out how they made their "custom" candle holder - two bowls flipped on top of one another - brilliant!)

They also feature these cut out lanterns (made by cutting out paper bags). This would be a simple way to get your kids involved with the decorations as well!

Or these “7 layer” candleholders, made with layering beans and lentils. As they suggest, with these frugal decorating objects you can take some left over meat and veggies and make soup with after your big dinner! (Now that is the definition of FRUGAL!)

I love this photo of the feathers of a vase full of feathers, which I found at Taylortaste's Blog. I love the feather trend that has been going on over the last several years.

As we get closer to Christmas you can fill containers with cranberries for a brighter flash of color. I love these that were featured last year on Midwest Prep.


I also love these Centerpieces from BHG.com that they made with spray painted magnolia leaves and bright bulbs.

Click one more over on their site for this great idea with setting beautiful bulbs on top of candlesticks for another dramatic centerpiece.

Pic number nine, shown below, is in that same feature also showcases a way to use candles, ornaments and garland and bring a little bling to your table top. All of these elements below can be easily obtained at your local dollar store!


As you look at these centerpieces, they all involve similar components. Plain white candles and clear glass containers are among the staples. White candles are easy to come by at discount and dollar stores, if you need a couple. Otherwise, you may find that buying them in bulk is the more affordable option. Ikea has a nice set of Five Pillars in different sizes for only $9.99.
Another option, if you are looking to do a centerpiece where you can’t have actual flames or you have kids or pets you are concerned about, are the flameless candles that are out there. (I know Karen is rolling her eyes right now! - See her post on "Just say no to Faux")  However, they have come a long way and now are made from real wax and can be scented.  These are offered by Candle Impressions and you get a set of 3 Square pillars for $36.99 with a lovely vanilla scent. 

Ikea also has some great plain glass holders on the cheap that you can use to create your holiday tablescape. The POMP holder below is only $12.99.
The KANSIT vase pictured next is only $7.99.

I hope this inspires you to create some fantastic centerpieces for your holiday season. If you have any ideas or links I would love to see them!

9 frugal friends said ...

teachmama said... @ November 7, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Jess,
I'm stopping by from SITS and think I might want to marry your blog. It totally rocks, and I am seriously going to take time during the next few days to read up!

Awesome!

Tammy@InStitches said... @ November 7, 2009 at 7:42 AM

Came by from SITS too ! Great tips.

Blogs said... @ November 7, 2009 at 7:42 AM

Good morning sitsta...love love love candles..did i say i love candles....lovely....great layout...glad i ran past your blog today...thanks to sits...have a gorgeous day!!:)

Its So Very Cheri said... @ November 7, 2009 at 7:43 AM

I'm a SITS girl too. Great tips, beautiful photos. Love it and plan to follow and then I hope you come by and do the same.

Cheri

sweetjeanette said... @ November 7, 2009 at 7:47 AM

Hi there! Thanks for visiting my blog for the Freezer Foods Friday! Loved having you, come back anytime.

sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

Janean said... @ November 7, 2009 at 8:51 PM

fun ideas!!! (nashvegas -- too funny)

Corrie Howe said... @ November 8, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Wish you had these center pieces up last weekend. I was running around trying to dress up my table. Great ideas!

Moore Minutes said... @ November 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM

That artichoke centerpiece is too cool! I am SO enjoying your blog. It is full of all sorts of goodies. :) By the way, I love your profile description you have!

KennQ said... @ November 11, 2010 at 2:20 AM

great post, I really like it. Thanks for posting. :)

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails