Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Who doesn’t right? I love pie more at Thanksgiving then ever. The fantastic Centsational Girl did a post on it this weekend where she featured two to die for yummy looking pies.

It got me to thinking about my favorite Thanksgiving pie – Chocolate Pecan Pie! It is from an old back issue of Domino (hope you aren’t tired of my incessant references to my love of Domino) and I have made it for the last two years for Thanksgiving. It is awesome for several reasons.

  1. You can make it the day ahead of time.
  2. The bitter of the chocolate with the sweetness of the corn syrup is ahh wonderful.
  3. It is a nice switch up from just regular pecan pie.
  4. It is VERY easy.

There is only one bad thing about it – it is full of butter and fat. However, if you just eat a tiny piece does it really matter after the potatoes, gravy and stuffing you just had … nah!

Chocolate-Pecan Pie
1 tbsp butter
   Plus 6 tbsp melted
   Plus another 5 tbsp. melted (these must all be separate)
1 package (7 oz) of shortbread cookies
3 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 cup dark corn syrup
3 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup pecan halves

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9” pie plate with 1 tbsp butter. Place the shortbread cookies in a food processor and pulse until they are fine crumbs. Then add the 6 tbsp melted butter and pulse a few time to combine. (Yes, I just asked you to add butter to “butter” shortbread cookies. I know - just typing it blocked up my arteries a little.)

Transfer mixture to the pie plate, and press firmly and evenly to form a crust. I find if I use my fingers, I get little dimples all over the bottom. Try the back of a large spoon that you can “roll” back and forth. Place the plate in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to get firm.

Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, salt, corn syrup, chocolate, 5 tbsp of melted butter (more butter!) and pecans and stir until the mixture is uniform. I highly recommend using a wooden spoon or something else VERY stiff! Take the pie plate out of the freezer, and place on a baking sheet (this is very important unless you want a very messy oven). Pour the chocolate mixture into the pie plate, and put it in the oven. Bake for 55 minutes, remove and let cool completely before serving.

You have to try it! Lemme know if you do!


I am linking up with Debra at the Bungalow for a Sharing Thanksgiving Party! Join the fun!








P.S.  Don't forget to enter my Giveaway here!  You don't want to miss out on getting this!



I am also going to link this up with Cheri's Thanksgiving Traditions party! Thanks for the invite Cheri!






And since I haven't done anything else DIY this week I am throwing this in for DIY Day with Kimba. I am going to have a good one for next week though!



DIY Day @ ASPTL


I also must thank Christy at Embellished Bayou for inviting me to her "Let's Go Nuts" Party. There are some awesome recipes out there so make sure you do a little party hopping with her as well!
Generated image

8 frugal friends said ...

Kate Riley said... @ November 16, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Must.Have.Chocolate.Pecan.Pie. Do you realize that you've complicated my life? I simply must try this recipe !!! Thanks so much for sharing !

Kate

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said... @ November 17, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Ohhh, this pie sounds so delicious! I have a similar recipe that I love, but I may have to give your recipe a try too! Thanks for sharing Thanksgiving with us!

Debra from Bungalow said... @ November 17, 2009 at 8:30 AM

I love pie...chocolate and pecans together, but have never heard of choc pecan pie. ... sounds so yummy. Thanks for sharing at the Sharing Thanksgiving party!

The Blonde Duck said... @ November 17, 2009 at 2:05 PM

This sounds just divine!

Anonymous said... @ November 17, 2009 at 9:25 PM

This sounds yummy (especially because it's chocolate!) :-) Thanks for sharing the recipe.

pk @ Room Remix

Its So Very Cheri said... @ November 22, 2009 at 7:50 AM

I would love to have you post this to my Thanksgiing Traditions party

Cheri

Embellished Bayou said... @ November 23, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I love pecan pie, and adding chocolate makes it even better! I'm having a "Go Nuts" linky party today, I'd love it if you could stop by and link up this post!

http://embellishedbayou.blogspot.com/2009/11/party-time-lets-go-nuts.html

bj said... @ November 24, 2009 at 6:43 AM

I made a Cho. Pecan pie for Thanksgiving..They freeze so so well, in case you want to do one sooner than the day before. I make and freeze all I can the week before Thanksgiving or Christmas..when thawed, fresh as can be.

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails