Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

I had to run into Target last night to get some stuff, just a quick trip in and out. So imagine my surprise when I cut through the regular home goods section to see rows and rows of empty and half-empty shelves. I had to back up and observe – empty shelves could be a sign of problems or new merchandise getting ready to go up. Upon closer inspection, a decent amount of the stuff left on the shelf in several areas had the wonderful red Target clearance stickers on them!
 (love the clearance stickers)

I scanned the aisle (now in full on bargain shopper mode – where I can switch into a wild cart wielding gatherer that would probably make my cavewomen ancestors proud) and noticed that the others in the section had that same crazed look in their eyes. What made it difficult to shop was that the clearance stuff wasn’t just segregated to the end of each aisle. They were mixed in with the regular merchandise that wasn’t marked down so you had to push things around and check boxes and bags to see what was and was not on clearance. (I found a couple people’s hidey holes where they had left something to come back for later. Hint – check behind the throw pillows!)

I walked out of the store with a duvet that was originally $99.99 that I got for $24.98, two matching shams that were $31.99 apiece that were marked down to $7.48, and a microfiber twin comforter that was $59.99 marked down to $14.89. Drapes and table setting stuff were also drastically marked down. In fact, I couldn’t find tablecloths, placemats or runners that weren’t marked down. I am a huge fan of the Fieldcrest linen napkins that are a dead ringer for the more expensive Pottery Barn version – and they were marked down to $4.98 a napkin.
(my new bedding - Score!)

In my expert opinion – (as someone who works in corporate retail) – I would say that Target is getting ready to make a massive change to their home section. They are selling down through most of their own “Target Brand” merchandise and quite a large portion of some of their branded items like Fieldcrest. Given that nothing has filled in the shelves yet, this won’t be a rolling change that you will just “notice” as you walk through. They would just have that stuff ship out as soon as they could to keep the shelves full. My guess is that they are about to totally rebrand and relaunch their home goods and that it will be big when they do it!

So, get out there and get some deals today! If you pick something up, be sure to tell me about what you scored!



(Note to the FTC – I am quite sure Target doesn’t want me telling people about empty shelves, but in case you weren’t sure, I was not compensated in anyway to write about this!)

7 frugal friends said ...

Shelley said... @ February 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Sounds like you may be onto something here. I, too, am ready to get down to reading the ebook.
Happy Saturday SITS sharefest.

Kristi@SuiteEnvy said... @ February 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM

That little orange sticker can make your whole day can't it? I had a similar experience at my local Target recently. Amazing deals!

Queenie Jeannie said... @ February 13, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Great finds!! I was just at Target yesterday but didn't even stop to "look" in this section. My husband knows me too well...

Linda@Coastal Charm said... @ February 13, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I will be sure to check it out...thanks for the update! I sooooo luv TARGET:) Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

Blessings,
Linda

Sandy said... @ February 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Love Target and I'm always looking for a good buy there! Love all the places they have their sale stuff. :)

Anonymous said... @ February 14, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Wonderful score!

The Target by our new house had a large areas clearance off. And near it was a sign saying they were adding a fresh grocery section - fresh fruit and veggies, meat, etc. I wonder if that is what the changes in your Target was about.

Michelle said... @ February 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I just hit up the homegoods section at Target the other day too! I got a rug that was originally $49.99 for $12 and some plates for .24 cents each! I'll probably post my beautiful rug sometime soon; I get a big smile everytime I see on my kitchen floor just knowing I got such a great deal!

~Michelle~

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails