Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

Ok, so the cold and the snow and has me feeling those winter blahs.  I need an influx of tropical sun and surf.  So I thought I would gather up some pictures to demonstrate how you can get the feel of the tropics in your home.  (Even if you are buried until a couple feet of snow!) 

Doesn't this picture just make you feel warm all over?  The key here is wicker furniture, wood paneling, and white trim.  And a glass of iced tea ...

Hanging plants are another way to get that tropical vibe.  I am in love with this picture!  Aren't those sliding doors phenomenal?

Tropical flowers and plants in a bathroom can instantly bring a exotic vibe.  Seriously, if you removed the flowers below, this would just be a regular bathroom.  A beautiful bathroom, but a regular one.  Add some bamboo (super cheap!) or a Bird of Paradise plant to get a beachy feel in your bath!


LisaLeo designs tropical bathroom

Ok, so after browsing, I think my new favorite style ever has to be British Colonial (West Indies not Williamsburg).  Light colors on the walls, dark stains on the furniture, breezy comfortable fabrics, traditional architecture and comfy furniture.  Yep - that is me to a T.  I could live in this room right now and not change a thing! 





Now this is very DIY beachy.  Grass cloth wallpaper inside molding & shadowboxes with shells.  Love the orchid!






A canopy always adds a touch of tropical.  I love how this one is structured and tied around the posts.  Beautiful!  A sisal rug is another great touch you can make in your room.










Lime green is a great tropical color.  Fresh and clean - the smell of lime is another great way to add a tropical accent as well.  And pineapple accents never hurt!


Linen & nubby fabrics have a tropical feel.  As do plantation blinds, which is why I chose this picture.  (Actually, that is a lie - I just REALLY want that chaise!)






Another example of using a grass cloth on a feature wall.  Accenting it with some rustic pottery helps make this look organic instead of beachy.






Yeah - I got nothing on this one.  I just love the bright green porch!  It makes me smile.










Would you dare put grass cloth on the ceiling?  I want to have this room!






Brighten up your entry way with a bright pot with a tropical plant, some botanical prints and a seashell or coral.


Carved wooden lamps are another great way to add an island feel.




Well, there you go!  I hope that inspires you to add a little tropical to your home!  Now if you don't mind, I am just going to go stare at the next picture until I fall asleep and hope I dream of being there...












Linking this to the Inspired by Party with Melissa @ The Inspired Room

9 frugal friends said ...

Linda@Coastal Charm said... @ February 11, 2010 at 6:00 AM

Lovin' the pics of tropical decor...I'm sure that you are not surprise:) Hope you have a FUN day!

Blessings,
Linda

Steph said... @ February 11, 2010 at 6:31 AM

I'll take it! All of them! When will they be delivered to my house? :)

...stopping by from SITS...

Steph @ A Grande Life

Sarah Larsen said... @ February 11, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Great blog! I came by from SITS and I think I'll come back again! I love frugal living.

Melissa B. said... @ February 11, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I've had a "tropical" mentality all week, considering the snow. Hey, is that a bromeliad in the bathroom snap? 'Cause I just sent one of those to my youngest at college!

Unknown said... @ February 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM

dee-lightful! although I'd love to just have the entire house in a vacation spot, if I had my druthers.

Maria Killam said... @ February 11, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Love that tablescape, so so fabulous! Thanks for the great post!

Irene R said... @ February 12, 2010 at 10:06 AM

I would love to wake up in any of those rooms, rather than where I am now. *Ugh* So sick of snow.

Claudya Martinez said... @ February 12, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I love the tropical bedroom design idea. What I wouldn't give to have a large beautiful bedroom!?

inadvertent farmer said... @ February 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Oh you just made me smile and remember the beaches of Kauai...thanks! Kim

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails