Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

I am not going to lie. My style is probably traditional mixed with a lot of comfy! While I appreciate the clean lines of things that are modern, I think many of the designs end up cold and (quite frankly) hard on the tushy. Plus, when I see someone with a traditional or country or transitional home - they seem more like the down home "Come in an have a glass of tea" type. Whereas a lot of the modern peeps out there are like the cool kids club that I simply have never been a part of in my life. They are too cool, too hip, too with it... and I can feel my goofy 7th grader standing there impressed but understanding deep down that it will never be for me.

So when I saw the blog "Unhappy Hipster" featured by Erin at Elements of Style I was instantly amused and somewhat disturbingly satisfied by the pictures and their imagined captions! All of these pictures are based on those from Dwell Magazine so if you love it, my apologies for this post! But please, allow me to share a few that made me giggle. 

"She’d been begging her parents to swap out the gravel for a real lawn, with chairs and everything. She hadn’t counted on their literalism."


"It occurred to her that in choosing the repurposed airplane ramp as a staircase, she hadn’t considered the child."
 

"He reassured the distraught homeowner: Though there was only one window, the twisted stack of boxes was eminently livable."

 
"The porthole windows seemed like a good idea. But now the house appeared to be leering at them, distinctly ominous."

"Sober (and in the light of day), she realized that buying the companion sculpture to the photograph had been unwise."

So what about you?  Do you find this kind of modern architecture and design pretentious or are you a huge fan?  This chick is very interested on if she may have alienated some of her readers!  Sorry - I still think these are funny! 




P.S. - This is my 100th Post!  Thanks for hanging with me. 

11 frugal friends said ...

Heather said... @ February 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Oh my gosh - this had me laughing so hard!!! I am definitely more of a cushy and comfy gal myself, I don't like homes that feel cold and like some weird piece of art/furniture might poke or jab me at any moment. :)

Anonymous said... @ February 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Hilerious. I love them all, especially the one about buying the companion sculpture to the picture. Excellent!

Claudya Martinez said... @ February 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Congratulations on your 100th post.

My friend works for Dwell Magazine, she's pretty high up on the masthead. Nonetheless, I find this hilarious! Although I enjoy some of the design ideas I certainly wouldn't want them in my home.

Kelsey said... @ February 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM

This had me cracking up! I appreciate modern design but have a hard time living with it. I do have some modern elements in my home (lamps and such) but my style is more vintage/comfy. Those modern houses are impressive looking but would really pigeonhole you into sticking with ONLY modern design INSIDE the home too!

Kate Riley said... @ February 18, 2010 at 10:52 PM

This site truly had me laughing out loud. I love modern design, but when you couple some of these shots with the captions, it just tickled my funny bone. My favorite was "Not on the lawn. Never.On.The.Lawn. See how much fun daddy is having?" You've got to see that one. Hysterical.

Unknown said... @ February 19, 2010 at 5:32 AM

Stopping by from SITS

The last picture and comment had me literally lol'ing. Great blog and happy 100!

Unknown said... @ February 19, 2010 at 5:56 AM

I think this would be fun to visit and tough to live in. Stopping by from SITS!

Anonymous said... @ February 19, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Very funny!

Honestly, I cannot stand modern architecture or design. Like you said, it's cold and I feel, uninviting. I am more a combination of traditional, arts & crafts, and country myself. Houses like these don't feel like homes, but rather showpieces.

Danielle said... @ February 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I thought it was funny!

I agree that that kind of architecture and design feels cold and uninviting. I much prefer a comfy, cozy house that feels inviting and welcoming.

Mommy said... @ February 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Very funny! I love your goofy 7th grade side:) Happy 100th!

Teri said... @ February 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Hi, Jess! First of all, I agree - modern design is rather cold, and I know I couldn't live that way in my own home! I always wonder where the homeowners keep all their "stuff" as you never see any of it! To each his own, I guess. It's beautiful, but just not for me. I do know what you mean about seeing it as a "too cool for school" kind of feeling, too! Second, thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I so appreciate you taking the time to comment! :) Third...I'm off to poke around follow your blog! :) Take care!

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails