Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

(Warning – The content you are about to read is both highly cheesy and sappy. If you are not all about feeling the lovey dovey right now around Valentine’s Day then I highly suggest you either scroll through quickly on the reader or page somewhere else. But if you are all about the love then dive on in!)

I am not even going to pretend that I wasn’t inspired by Freckles Chick with this idea. As I was scrolling through my reader, I saw it an I loved it. She went out to dafont.com and played around with fonts and came up with two separate ones that she used to create this beautiful word art that represent the songs from her and her hubby’s wedding. (Can I get an awwwwhhhh up in here!) These were hung in her bedroom so they could see them every day. (Let me here it again! Awwwwhhhh!)
(photo via Freckles Chick)

I fell in LOVE with this idea, partially because it is beautiful and partially because the hubby and I spent a lot of time picking out the music for our wedding. And partially because when it comes to cute sentimental things, the hubby is up over me in our three year marriage. (He always gets the sweetest cards where as I normally pick the ones with talking cats or fart jokes!) So I really want to do something sweet and mushy for him this year.

Now, while she used a manlier font for his song and a feminine font for hers, I wanted mine to look like old love letters. I used the font “Underwood Champion” and printed it out on some scrap booking card stock I got at Hobby Lobby. I did a total of three since we had three songs that were really special to us in our day.

For starters, I was not walking down the aisle to Canon in D. (No offense if you did, but it just wasn’t for me.) I decided when I was 20 years old that when I got married I was going to walk down to meet my man to the lyrics of “This is the Moment” from Jekyll and Hyde. Now the hubby and I had only been dating for about a year and a half when I made this decision, but I knew it was the right one for me. For those of you familiar with the musical - I did take a little creative license with the words to make the song a lil more about a wedding. The effect was fantastic and there was not a dry eye in the house after my girls and I walked down to that. My lil bro (a professional singer in his own right) sang this for me and it was the best wedding present ever.

Next up, my lil bro and a dear family friend sang us “Come What May” from Moulin Rouge. Now the hubby was not sold on this song until I made him listen to it and later on, I found out it was one of his favorites on his Yahoo Radio playlist! I have some video (although pretty jumpy) of him singing it to me softly at the alter. It was perfect!

Finally, because it took us seven years of on again off again to get up there to and say our “I do’s” we had to dance our first dance to “It had to be you”. I think that is pretty self explanatory – but it still reminds me every time I think of it that there is no one else that I would rather spend the rest of my life with.

Now, the big question is what am I going to do with these. Well, this is kinda my present to the hubby for V-day so you are going to have to wait for a while to see the final result, but I think your gonna love it! It of course will involve some old frames that have been lying around but the rest of it is a lil idea I have been stewing on for a couple of days!  (UPDATE: Check out the final project!)

Personally, I think just the words framed makes a great gift as a wedding or anniversary present. It is very sentimental but not pricy at all!

So I want to know - what was your favorite song from your wedding?  Or what do you want to dance or walk down to?  Serious or silly - I want to hear it!  (My dad and I danced to "The Rainbow Connection" by Kermit the Frog so I am all good with the silly!)

Linking this up to The CSI Project's Typography Challenge!  Share your projects too!


Visit thecsiproject.com

17 frugal friends said ...

Christine said... @ February 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM

I love this! Great Valentine's day gift idea. I did something similar but with our vows. Perhaps I need to find a place for our songs now

Debra said... @ February 9, 2010 at 10:51 PM

What a great gift. I had the sheet music of the first song we danced to (Unforgettable) framed for our 1st anniversary but I like this idea, too.

Judy@grammyreads.com said... @ February 10, 2010 at 6:17 AM

I love this idea! I got married at my parents' home so there was no music, except in my heart...awwww...hahaha! My husband and I are going to see Wicked for Valentines! Maybe we will pick out a song there!

Gretchen said... @ February 10, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Aww...my dad and I also danced to Kermit the Frog singing The Rainbow Connection because it's been on of our family's songs for as long as I can remember. I'm surprised and happy that someone else used this fabulous song!!!

Karen said... @ February 10, 2010 at 7:44 AM

I love this idea Jess! It really would make a nice wedding or anniversary gift. So much better than a store bought gift.

Heather said... @ February 10, 2010 at 8:54 AM

I am doing the exact same thing for my hubby for Valentine's Day! I was completely inspired by Freckles Chick and spent wayyyy too long on dafont.com!

Our first dance was "By the way they Dance" by Jump, Little Children. And our favorite song of the night was "Luckiest" by Ben Folds. These are the two I am planning on framing.

Can't wait to see your final result!

Erin said... @ February 10, 2010 at 9:20 AM

What a sweet idea! That would make a good anniversary gift for someone too! At our wedding one of my best friends sang, "How Beautiful" and our first dance song was "You're Just too good to be True" by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.

Michelle said... @ February 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I love this idea too! We had "God Blessed the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts, "Your Gaurdian Angel" by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus(our song) and a song my husband's sister wrote and sang! We strongly considered "Come What May" but his sister didn't think she could pull it off(though I'm sure she could have!) Love that song tho-good choice! My blog is empty (waiting for me to start using it!), but if I use this idea I will be sure to post it and link it!

Rachel Cotterill said... @ February 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM

We sang Joy To The World at our (August) wedding... so now every Christmas I get reminded of the wedding day :D

Unknown said... @ February 10, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Gosh, Jess - It's been 20 yrs this June! If I thought about it, I could do kind of a progression of songs - dating, wedding, kids, empty nest. That'd really work for us. Hmmm, another project. Gee, thanks a lot. Just what I needed.

Infarrantly Creative said... @ February 10, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Awwwww that is sweet. What a great momento of your day!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said... @ February 11, 2010 at 10:51 AM

That is really sweet!!!

XOOX
Jen

Unknown said... @ February 11, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Great idea, Jess! Who says he's the romantic one? Hope you two have a fabulous Valentine's Day, thanks for linking up! (the post, I mean...:))

Meghan said... @ February 11, 2010 at 11:46 PM

We also had Come What May at our wedding! We spent a lot of time picking out music too, we wanted something different and to really make the wedding our style. I walked down to My girl and cried the entire way down the aisle. Our last song as we walked down the aisle as husband and wife was Beautiful Day by U2. Thanks for sharing the great idea, love it!

Joey Lynn Resciniti said... @ February 12, 2010 at 6:34 AM

My husband and I chose to semi-elope and got married in the local courthouse. We walked through a metal detector. There was no music, but it suits us. I would do it all over again!

Natalie {Where North Met South} said... @ February 13, 2010 at 9:53 PM

What a fantastic & romantic idea! I love it! We danced to I Will Stay with You by John Legend (it was the only request my hubby made during the whole planning process so I happily obliged). My father and I danced to Carolina In My Mind by James Taylor since we were married in NC and James Taylor is one of my dad's favorites.

Natalie

Creesty said... @ August 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM

My husband and my first dance was to "Stand By Me", and then we invited everyone else out onto the floor to dance with us- the next song was the "Time Warp" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It took us months to find a first dance song.

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails