Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

I LOVE Halloween.  Probably my favorite holiday after Christmas.  I love that everyone decides to be someone else for a night, be friendly and hand out sweets!  And perhaps embrace their natural tendencies…

DSC06736

So last night – we headed out to a friends house for a Halloween party.  And in the sprit of the holidays – I decided to make Finger Cookies!  Now I know I normally don’t share recipes with you guys – but these were just too much fun.  Though they are pretty gross so if you get queasy easy – you may want to skip this post!  I used the recipe below from Epicurious.com.

Whatcha Need

Cookie Ingredients:

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 tablepoons Icing Glue (see below)

Icing Glue Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon water

Whatcha Do
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth and creamy.

2. Add the sugar, egg, and vanilla extract and mix well.

3. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and beat until completely mixed.

4. Cover the dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

5. Preheat the oven to 325°F.

6. With your hands, roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a finger shape for each cookie. 

Cooks Notes: I found it was easiest to roll it out and then press down a front area for a nail bed, then bunch the dough up a little farther down for the first knuckle and then bunch it up some more for the second knuckle.  Oh – and then I also dipped the ends in a little red food coloring.  As if they weren’t already gross enough!  Make them pretty thin – if they are too thick they will puff up too much and you will have uh “ogre” fingers!  Actually – that would be a pretty fun Shrek spin to make on these … just saying!

DSC06743If the dough gets sticky and hard to work with, put it back in the refrigerator for a little while. Place fingers on an ungreased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart.

7. Use a butter knife to make knuckle marks on the finger cookies. 

Cook’s Note:  I found three little lines on the first knuckle and about six or so on the second really made them look realistic.

DSC06745 8. Bake 20-25 minutes, until fingers are slightly golden. Remove from the oven and let cool. Meanwhile, prepare the Icing Glue. Mix together powdered sugar and water in a small bowl until the consistency is similar to that of a paste.

9. Attach almond slice fingernails to the tips of the fingers with Icing Glue. Let glue dry for about 30 minutes. 

Cook’s note:  How gross are these?  Oh I love it!! 

DSC06750

Read More about the recipe here at Epicurious.

The cookies were a total hit at the party!  People would kinda tentatively pick one up and bite into it and then go - “Oh – those taste really good!”  This was always said with a huge look of relief.  Like the cookie was actually going to taste like fingers or something! 

DSC06753

So with those little tasty morsels, I wish you all a Happy Halloween and many treats (and tricks)! 

From the spy who loves all of you…

DSC06759 

Linking this up to

Sunday Recipe Swap with Cassity @ Remodelaholic

2 frugal friends said ...

Rachel Cotterill said... @ October 31, 2010 at 4:34 PM

They are quite gruesome! I don't think I'll be making these.... *shudder*

Erin said... @ November 1, 2010 at 7:42 AM

My kids would LOVE these!!! Gotta make them before halloween next year, just to freak them out!!! You're a cute spy!!!

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails