Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

We will get to this project in a sec – but first, I want to explain how we got there!  The hubby has been wanting new speakers for awhile.  Since we got married actually.  And he finally found a great deal, so we got them.  Now with his speakers came something called a center channel.  That is the small long speaker that sits in the middle – and it is where the majority of your vocals comes from when you run 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.  (Obviously – I am not a speaker expert here so we will leave my explanation of sound at that.)  We had a center channel set up in our old house on a shelf I bought from Target and we were going to use the same thing.  Then the speakers got here.  The new fancy center channel was WAY too deep to fit on the shelf. 

So now we had to come up with a different solution.  Hubby called me to meet him at Home Depot after work to look at some pre-made shelving options.  However, when I got there – he had come up with a different idea.  He decided to take a stair riser (which already has a fancy bull nose edge) and two wood brackets and make our own.  (Have I mentioned that I love this man!)  See below for the project pieces – total cost was about $30 – the stair was $9 and the each of the brackets were about $10 a piece.

DSC06557

We measured for the shelf in the living room and then Hubby started assembling the shelf.  Please excuse our mess of a garage.  That is another project that we are working on finishing.

DSC06558We decided to stain the shelf Minwax’s Stain and Poly in one in Bombay Mahogany.  Here it is with the first coat on – so pretty!  I love this color! 

DSC06572

So here was our TV area before the shelf went up.  Sorry for the picture – not a great one – but you can see the new center channel sitting there on the console on the right side of the TV. 

DSC06554

Now here is the space with our new shelf!   (And the hubby’s beautiful new center channel!)

DSC06706

I just love it!  I think the stain came out BEAUTIFUL!  The console is actually that same color – just a smidge darker.  I thought about giving it another coat – but was afraid it wouldn’t look right. 

DSC06709

Of course I claimed all space that was not occupied by the speaker in the name of Jess and gussied it up a bit!  It is kinda like having a mantel!  I get to participate in mantle parties now!!  Hooray!!

DSC06724

Now I do have a question for you guys!  Do you think I should hang a sign of some sort below the shelf?  See doctored example below of “HOME” in the space.

DSC06731-1

I am not sure if it works … or if it just becomes too cluttered.  What do you think?

Linking this up to

Metamorphosis Monday with Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch
Making it for Monday with Cindy @ Cottage Instincts
Table Top Tuesday with Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life
Anything Related with Rebekah and Bridgette @ All Thingz Related

Tip Me Tuesday with Laurie @ The Tip Junkie
Get Your Craft On with Kim @ Today’s Creative Blog
Boardwalk Bragfest with Jan @ Bobbypins Boardwalk
Make it Yours Day with Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden 
Transformation Thursday with Gina @ The Shabby Cottage 
Get Your Craft on Thursday with Lori @ Life with Lori 
Strut Your Stuff with Steph @ Somewhat Simple  
Furniture Feature Friday with Miss Mustard Seed @ Mustard Seed Creations
Frugal Friday with Gina @ The Shabby Nest
Show and Tell with Cindy @ My Romantic Home 
Weekend Wrap-up Party with Jen @ Tatertots & Jello 
Saturday Night Special with Donna @ Funky Junk

 


23 frugal friends said ...

Kate Riley said... @ October 24, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Fabulous idea! In fact, I have an extra stair tread and now my brain is thinking 'make a shelf like Jess!' Brilliant my dear!
xo
Kate

Erin said... @ October 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM

That is awesome, and I never would have thought stair tread. You know my thoughts on the whole decorating around the tv(uh, do you have jerseys???) I love the vignette(you go girl!) and the stain color is great!

Tru said... @ October 24, 2010 at 8:50 PM

That is awesome. A very sturdy looking shelf. Doesn't look too cluttered.The TV blends right in.

Making It Work Mom said... @ October 24, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Leave as is - it looks perfect. I know nothing about the whole sound thing, but I love how you made electronic equipment look decorative. Something everyone strives for!
Congratulations to your Hubby!

Amanda said... @ October 24, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Looks great, Jess. We've done the same thing in our house. I think a sign below the shelf might be too much. Do you think you'd be able to see it over the TV from the seating areas? If not, how about putting it over the shelf, centered between the ceiling line and the top of the speaker?

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said... @ October 24, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Oh, I really like this. Looks simple enough that even I could do it! ;)

Hoosier at Heart said... @ October 25, 2010 at 6:18 AM

You did an amazing job with that! I'll spray paint anything that stands still but stain still scares me. I'm jealous that I still can't participate in mantle parties...one day maybe. I really like the look of the sign below the shelf, looks more complete...finished. Nice job!

Elizabeth @ Southern Comfort said... @ October 25, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Looks wonderful Jess! What a smart hubby you have. I love how the TV almost looks like it's in a built-in. The shelf really adds to the drama of the wall and brings the look together. I like the idea of "home" or something like it. There are some really adorable ones out there that are removable if you want to change your decor for a season. It would look really great in iron or wood. I can't wait to see what you come up with for mantle parties and such! :) Isn't it so fun to have another area to play with!?!

Unknown said... @ October 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM

This looks fabulous! I also like the word you put under the shelf. Great job!

Renae said... @ October 25, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I like the HOME idea.

fafner said... @ October 25, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I'm not sure about the sign, but I love how it looks now. And you've already gotten everything around it looking cute too! Would have no idea that shelf used to be just a stair!

the cape on the corner said... @ October 25, 2010 at 2:56 PM

looks good! you are totally right, it is up for decorating if it's a flat expanse, that's my theory. why should it just be about the speaker. and i think i like it without the home sign, too.

Karen said... @ October 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM

What a smart solution.

Donna said... @ October 25, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Wow, using a stair riser was such a great idea! Isn't is nice to have a handy hubby?

Erin @ Domestic Adventure said... @ October 25, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Your shelf turned out perfectly, Jess! Thanks so much for stopping by Domestic Adventure today and sharing my cornices on your Facebook page. You're the best!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said... @ October 25, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I love the word under the gorgeous shelf...what about Relax....cuz that is what you will be doing while watching TV,...just a thought!

Shannon said... @ October 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I love it! I actually do like the "Home" underneath. Good job!

Farah said... @ October 26, 2010 at 1:38 AM

It not only works but I think it is perfect, it oveall vanishes the emptiness feeling on the wall. The way you decorate the shelf is beautiful, less is more and you prove it... very lovely.
I would love if you peek on to my new little post..Love
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said... @ October 26, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Now this is just so clever. I love it. It looks beautiful in your wall vignette too. Great idea. Thanks for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said... @ October 26, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Once again, Jess, you have "WOWed" me with your ingenuity! What a great look. Many thanks for sharing this great project today at the Boardwalk Bragfest. I love it!

mah said... @ October 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I did the same thing!!! The stair tread is a wonderful shelf, smooth, finished edge and thicker than your normal wood!!! I love mine. I used three to make a unit for my bowl collection.

vikki said... @ October 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Love what you did, and the word under the shelf is a great idea, I think it finishes it off.

Ecommerce Development Company in India said... @ September 23, 2022 at 6:03 AM

We provide Best Ecommerce Development Company in India that will increase traffic to your online store. Reussite Technology offers affordable e-commerce SEO packages. Contact us today!

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails