Welcome to Frugal with a Flourish!

Enjoy your time here! Don't miss a post by getting email updates any time there is something new. You can also get updates through Google Friend Connect or follow me on Facebook or Twitter to get the latest info and see all the things that inspire me!

[ | Posted in | | ]

We all use plates every day.  But because they are such everyday items we sometimes forget to think about them in terms of design and decor.  So today – I want to share with you seven great ideas on projects that you can make with plates.  Enjoy! 

1. Make a Wreath

For starters – since it is fall – I thought I would share this project I found at Midwest Living.  I really like the idea of using a plate to be your base for a cheerful wreath!  You just glue the leaves on and the peel them off when your done!

 2.  Turn them into a 3-D Sculpture    

I love this idea that Sarah @ The Thrifty Decor Chick had to create some beautiful art for her kitchen.  She cut a faux pear in half and glued it to a plate to create a creative art piece.  Brilliant!  And beautiful!

3.  Make a Unique Cake Stand

People have been using plates and glasses glued together all over blog land to make beautiful unique cake stands.  But I adore this one from Vic @ Punky & Me – the vivid red is just too cute! 

4.  Hang them on the Wall

Hanging a grouping of plates on the wall is a great way to create a big impact in a space.  I love this collection from Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality.  She got them all at yard sales too! 

5.  Put a Graphic on It

I have seen all kinds of varieties of this around blog land.  A lot of people have used Cricuts or Silhouettes to cut out cute vinyl cut outs.  Some of us aren’t cool enough to have those fancy machines – so I made my Bird Plates using Mod Podge and card stock. 

6.  Create your own Stained Glass Window

What abou this idea from Becky @ Beyond the Picket Fence to take several glass plates to make her own stained glass window?  How creative is this?

7.  Turn it into a Mirror

I would love to find a beautiful scalloped plate like these that Monica @ Craftynest did.  She took some 4” mirrors that you set under candles and made the most beautiful mirrors!  Oh I just love them! 

So there you go! Seven great ideas on how to take your plates past the dinner table and into your decor.  So what do you think?  Have a favorite?  Have you done a great plate craft of your own?  If so – share it below in the comments or over on my Facebook page

13 frugal friends said ...

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy said... @ October 26, 2010 at 9:32 PM

I LOVE repurposed plates and all your projects above :o)

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said... @ October 26, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Some great ideas here! Thanks for sharing.

Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

Erin said... @ October 27, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Love the ideas Jess. I have some plates that I need to hang and this has given me several options, so thanks!

Hoosier at Heart said... @ October 27, 2010 at 7:02 AM

I love the stained glass window one. That looks amazing. Also, thanks so much for telling me about Midwest Living. I didn't know about that site and I will spend time going through that, I'm sure!

Karen said... @ October 27, 2010 at 7:25 AM

I love the idea of turning them into mirrors! A whole group in varying colors could make a real statement-frugal, but fabulous idea.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said... @ October 27, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Thank you, Jess, for featuring my plate wall! You're a doll & I appreciate you.

Unknown said... @ October 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM

All of the ideas are fabulous. I really like the stained glass effect.

adele said... @ October 27, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I love the mirrors and the red cake plate. What did you spray the plates and wine glasses with?

Adele

fafner said... @ October 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Something about the half a pear on a plate cracks me up. It also seems totally doable!

Rachel Cotterill said... @ October 28, 2010 at 3:53 PM

That cake stand is amazing - but there's a limit on what kinds of cake would look fab on bright red.

Marilyn Holeman said... @ October 28, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Jess, I always love your lists of ideas and links to projects. Keep up the good work!

Megan // Honey We're Home said... @ October 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Those plate mirrors are really cool! I never would have thought of that!

Pamela said... @ November 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM

All these plates and I zero in on the pictures of Jesus with the children. It's one of my favorite pictures. And I do like your plates, too!

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me - so please leave one! It makes my day! I read and try to respond to each one!
Didn't get a response? Check out my tips here to link your email and blog back to your profile.



Related Posts with Thumbnails